Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Hunt the Roost

Old 02-12-2010, 07:31 AM
Typical Buck

I agree that roost hunting is not a way I'd like to kill my turkey. I disagree with the comment that was made about killing turkey is why we hunt....I have been fortunate enough to have killed a turkey, but my favorite hunt was last year in Mo with arrowmaster. Had a monster come in and stayed too far out to shoot, but wow it was a great show, frustrating, but great. The same question arose before here and there and people have even said they wouldn't shoot a tom if it were in a tree for any reason, that I also disagree with. if I call in old tom and he jumps or flies to a low hanging branch to get a better look...fair game. But to sneak into a roost and shoot a turkey, maybe legal.....Kind of like the old story about the old man and the game warden fishing. The old man pulls out tnt lights it and throws it in the water.. Boom the fish float up. The W says you can't do that and the old man lights another and tosses it to the GW...and says you gonna talk or fish? Doesn't make it right. Be safe!!!
Old 02-15-2010, 04:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've never seen a gobbler on the limb much after shootin light... Doubt I ever will...

I have set up in area's I new the birds were from roosting them the night before and relized after first light that that I had set up within 10 yards of several roosting birds... Never even thought about shootin one off the roost... That thought doesent even enter my mind while turkey hunting... Now I've been trying to set up on a gobbling bird and thought about sneakin up just over a rise and seeing if I could bush wack him... But that doesent usually work!!!
Old 02-15-2010, 06:06 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Hurricanespg
Isn't the purpose of turkey hunting to kill a turkey? If its not then don't take a weapon with you next time you go turkey "hunting".
Personally, I would not shoot a turkey off the roost, but if its legal I couldn't care less if another person does.

gyro288; I agree with you, very well said.

There are several phases to becoming a hunter - to start the main goal is to shoot a turkey or shoot a deer, but the later phases of turkey hunting or any hunting for that matter changes from just shooting one, to shooting the most, or shooting the biggest, to fully evolve into tactics of how you hunt and how close you can get the animal or bird to you to more than the actual shot itself. And the last phase is helping others as many get more enjoyment of seeing others harvetst their first ever Tom!

To me that is how hunting evolves - each to their own as amny don;t fully evolve to that last phase.

Oh and to shoot one off the Roost - Sorry in my book you are not an ethical hunter - You don't need that turkey to survive.

JW
Old 02-15-2010, 03:10 PM
Spike

I do not agree that hunting is all about killing. It is a small part of it but not what makes it. My best experiences in the woods were days that i didnt even see any turkey. The privilage to go out and sit in the woods all day to just get away from traffic, work, and the economy is thereputic enough to keep me from going crazy.
Old 02-15-2010, 04:40 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Adrian J Hare
If you shoot them from the roost, Your Not a turkey hunter plain and simple.
Agreed Adrian

Any slob hunter with a shotgun can shoot a turkey off the roost. What is the challenge of that? It isn't the essence of turkey hunting and isn't considered fair chase.

MC
Old 02-15-2010, 05:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think you guys are missing the point. By definition if you are hunting a turkey you are trying to kill it.
I am not trying to say you cannot enjoy all of the other aspects of the hunt.

Ethics police are out hard on this one. If its legal let it go.
Old 02-15-2010, 08:32 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Hurricanespg
I think you guys are missing the point. By definition if you are hunting a turkey you are trying to kill it.
I am not trying to say you cannot enjoy all of the other aspects of the hunt.

Ethics police are out hard on this one. If its legal let it go.

I agree. I've always wanted to shoot one off the roost at first light but never had the chance. Yet.

I've killed 4 turkeys in the air and get slammed by some for doing it, yet if I shoot one off the roost it's not "challenging ".
Old 02-17-2010, 07:42 PM
Fork Horn

You are hunting the king of the woods. Anything making noise he doesnt like he covers it up with his own gobble. He shows off to anything that will take notice and those that wont he makes sure they hear him. He is the man, he can handle 15 women all clucking for his attention, after he satisfies those he will be out looking for more. At first gobble he makes our heart pick up a bit, a closer gobble our heart is at a small thump, at first sight slight thunder, at 30 yards our heart is out of our chest beating loud enough, we wonder if he can hear it.
Yes I have a love affair with this creature and I wont apologize for it. The bird I know and respect deserves to play the game, he deserves better than to be shot from his roost, his place of rest, his escape from the game. It is the game that you miss out on shooting from the roost. You didn’t play, the game hadn’t even started, you knocked out the champ before the bell had even rung. In my book you should be expelled from the sport. You have missed the point, and I don’t think you will ever get it. But I will tell you that if you ever do come over from the dark side and the light ever does come on for you, you will be part one incredible club.
Old 02-18-2010, 04:23 AM
Fork Horn

I don't consider it a game because death is involved. Sportin clays is a game.
Old 02-18-2010, 11:38 AM
Fork Horn

Interesting, and mostly expected responses. I was a little shocked myself that a game warden suggested it, as a legal means of hunting. But I think it's fine, and I agree that killing a bird is the reason hunters hunt. The one and only reason I hunt is for food. If I'm out there as a naturalist/photographer/ bird watcher/ guide, I won't have a gun along. When I take a gun, and take a life, it is only to sustain my own life. When I hunt, to put turkeys in the freezer, I will choose the most eficient method possible. It is not a sporting event for me. So I will take my game wardens advice and try it. I love the calling, the strutting, the challenge of it all too, and I'm damned good at it, but thats just a game I create in my head, a cat and mouse game, to make killing fun.
I love nature and enjoy being out there for all the non-turkey related sights and sounds. But when I'm hunting, not just out for a walk, but hunting for a holiday meal, it's serious business, I only want to kill a bird. I don't have time for too many days afield and I want them to count. It's a lot of effort to kill those birds, when $15-20.,would buy one at the store. But I get two birds for a $17. tag in my spare time, and I can walk out and do it. My hunting gear was paid for years ago, including enough ammo to last my lifetime, in anticipation of being old someday on a fixed income, and still needing to eat. So to get the food I need, with as little time and money spent as possible, I will try anything.
I really think sport hunters, who spend so much time /travel and money to try and get a bird, don't really know the real meaning of having to kill for food. They're just rich guys on vacation, enjoying the sights and sounds. There is nothing wrong with that at all, I make part of my living guiding them, and if I had enough money I would travel and hunt for sport too. But the true nature of hunting is killing and eating.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.