Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Turkey Hunting Camo

Old 02-03-2010, 07:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

No matter what game i'm hunting or where i'm hunting I always bank on ASAT. I have both the leafy suit and plain. I wear the leafy suit all the time for turkey hunting. I called in 3 toms two years ago and had to set up fast. The set-up was marginal. I was seated against a 4 inch beech tree and they never knew i was there. Just my personal preference but worth a look. asatcamo.com look at the test photos.
Old 02-03-2010, 04:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

you can also mix camo patterns. sometimes i wear mossy-oak shirt and cabelas seclusion pants or realtree ap shirt and mossy-oak pants. it seems to work well also
Old 02-04-2010, 06:26 AM
Typical Buck

I've never worn the leafy thing and doubt that I ever will.

I don't pay a lot of attention to camo patterns. The camo industry is mostly driven by hype and clever marketing in my opinion. I freely admit that I own a lot of camo hunting clothes but, frankly, I couldn't tell you the name of most of it. I buy my hunting clothes based on the quality of construction, fit, and features of the garmet, not the camo pattern. I try to wear stuff with more brown in it early then more green later in the season, that's about it. Honestly I don't give it much thought because the best conceiment is gained by being motionless anyway.

Cut some branches and stick them in the ground around you to break-up your outline. Make sure the tree you're sitting against is wider than your shoulders. Wear a good facemask and gloves. Make sure your gun isn't shiney. Now that is some good camo!

I am "only" 49, but when I started turkey hunging we didn't have all this hi-tech camo. We wore mostly army surplus clothes or whatever we could scratch up and learned to use "natural" things like branches, weeds, terrain and the sun to our advantage. And we called up and killed turkeys if you can believe that :-).

I remember when Jim Crumley's "Treebark" camo pattern came out. It was the bomb man. I got a full suit of it including facemask and hat and honestly thought that it would make me disappear like Harry Potter's invisibility cloak. It didn't take too long to learn, however, that if I moved while in a turkeys sight that pattern didn't hide me any better than the army bdu stuff.

Last edited by mouthcaller; 02-04-2010 at 06:29 AM.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

JW hit it on the head. Just don't let them catch you moving! Being still is way more important than camo pattern. I use whatever camo I have found on clearance and never have had a problem.
Old 02-04-2010, 07:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thumbs up

Many years ago, Mossy Oak had two of my favorite patterns, Green leaf and Treestand. Then they came out with Break-up. But, they have since came out, a couple of years ago, with their new Obsession camo, which I feel is one of the better patterns for Spring Turkey!!! Mainly because of it being much lighter and has a lot more green in it compaired to Break-up. (You can also wear Greener patterns for the top, and browner patterns for your pants to help blend in more.)
Old 02-05-2010, 08:25 AM
Fork Horn

Being still, is the most important thing. I've killed as many turkeys in blue jeans, and a brown t-shirt, with no gloves, hat, or head net, as I have in any cammoflage. But the cammoflage helps so much that it's well worth having. It actually hides many movements that would otherwise give you away. I have used a leafy suit, a cheap one from wolf creek or something like that for ten years. Same suit, still in good shape for $60. It makes you invisible almost. Wind is always blowing where I hunt, I can't think of any still mornings, but my suit is moving no more than anything else around me. I actually like a little breeze to hide my movement in the woods. If everything else is moving, you can move too, you just don't want to be the only thing moving. When everything is moving, you don't want to be the only thing still. You always hunt with the wind, even if scent isn't important. You move when the wind picks up and the grass moves. You stop when it stops. the wind hides movements and sounds you make. The leafy suits are great, but knowing what you're doing makes anything possible.
Old 02-05-2010, 09:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Any good camo will work as long as you sit still and make a effort to keep the sun at you back or stay in shaded areas. I am still using Real Tree Advantage and I don't get busted if I am sitting still.
Old 02-05-2010, 12:16 PM
Fork Horn

As others have said, try to match your surroundings as much as possible. Let me give you a first had experience I recently had. During muzzleloader whitetail season here in Michigan, I decided one day to sit on the ground. We had a nice layer of about 5 inches of snow. I decided to wear my Saskatchewan whites (called that because when I sent hunting in Sask., I found out I needed pure white from shoulders to boots). Well, I didn't see any deer that evening, but an hour before dark I caught movement. It was turkeys and they were headed my way. I was sitting next to a fallen tree, but no other cover shielded me from their keen eye sight. They kept coming closer and closer. I kept my head tilted down and my eyes squinted so they couldn't see me looking at them. The entire flock of 17 walked up to me at 7 yards, went around the down tree, and right along side of me on the other side. They finally walked off from behind and had made a 270 degree curve right around me. They had no idea that I was there. I say all of this to remind you to attempt to blend into your surroundings..oh, and don't even twitch...lol.
Old 02-05-2010, 12:27 PM
Spike

Hey guys!

Thanks for the feedback - I've decided I'm going to stick with the leafy suit and see how that works this spring...

Dog1: I know I have used arm & hammer baking soda to wash my camo in the past (just pure baking soda) Not sure if you've tried this or not.

Screamin Steel: LOL at your buddy almost petting a feeding hen! There's only one word for that: EXHILARATION!!!

Thanks again! Always interesgted in more feedback if any body else has it!
Old 02-06-2010, 07:51 PM
Typical Buck

As already stated try to match the area you are hunting, the most important thing is to be still. I have been in green camo in a brown field in the open with turkeys walking maybe 10 ft. from me they never saw me for two reasons 1 I never moved and 2 I was in camo any kind of camo. I often mix and match camo patterns.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.