HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   Turkey Hunting Camo (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/316432-turkey-hunting-camo.html)

turkeylover 02-02-2010 07:01 AM

Turkey Hunting Camo

Looking for the best camo for spring turkey season. My main concern is whether or not it's a good idea to wear a "leafy suit". Will the motion of these things do more harm than good? Curious to hear what you guys think. Thanks!

JW 02-02-2010 08:16 AM

Guess I never thought about the strands of a Ghillie suit or one of the Leaf-O-Flage suits and the movement.

To me that would cause a problem and the reason I don't wear one is because I feel it would get hung up on all sorts of stuff.

Again - Movement is the key to being a good turkey hunter. When to move and when not to. And how much movement one can get away with....

Move at the wrong time - Game over!

So No - I favor just a good camoflage no leaf wear for any 3D effect. And No to a ghillie suit.....

JW

turkeylover 02-02-2010 11:10 AM

I guess it's worth trusting my gut-instinct... Thank you JW!

jrbsr 02-02-2010 01:43 PM

Pick camo that matchs the area that you will be hunting.
Like if its green, then green camo, brown then brown camo, etc, etc.

I have thought about RealTree Ap

What ever you get, Good Luck.

superstrutter 02-02-2010 02:33 PM

Natural Gear works great in any situation, green or brown. You won't stick out like a dark blob like you will in many patterns.

trevorpt 02-02-2010 05:35 PM

i wear a 3-d suit and i havent had any trouble with it... if the wind blow the leaves on the trees then it blow the leaves on the suit and you blend in a little more... as to it getting caught up on anything, i havent had any troubles with that either. my suit has worked just fine with me... i even had a hen come within 10 yards of me last season and she had no clue i was there... i would pick a camo pattern that matches your surroundings, but if you want a suit, they are not a bad investment... but thats just my opinion.

wis_rifle_hunter 02-02-2010 07:13 PM

i have realtree AP HD camo that i use and i also have mossyoak break-up that i also use too. it depends on which area im going to be hunting on the property. but realtree AP HD works really well

Adrian J Hare 02-03-2010 03:42 AM

Welcome to the forum Turkeylover

Realtree's APG is also a greatcolor blend for the green or later parts of the season...

dog1 02-03-2010 05:38 AM

camo

I have for many years just used the military bdus'. The land I hunt is about 50/50 of planted pines and the other is hardwood bottom (swamp), with a lot of palmettos, which creates a lot of green. I ordered 2 shirts from cabelas' in 3D conifer because of the green in it and am extremely pleased with it. I ordered some more shirts in the conifer color after using it a couple of years.

One thing I would like to suggest to all about your camo clothing. A few years back I was in a Walls' Outlet complaining about the camo jacket I had faded fast. There happened to be a factory rep. there and she heard my coments. She told me the worst thing you can do to your camo clothing was to wash them in detergent that had UV brigheners and she recommended arm & hammer. At that time I could find it, but can't anymore. She also said that drying your camo with hot air made them fade quicker.

What I started doing is just washing my camo in just plain water and puting the clothes dryer on air only no heat.

dog1

Screamin Steel 02-03-2010 07:30 AM

Hang them out on the line, but only at night or on overcast days will help save the color from fading. Yes, to the leafy suit. Literally turns you into shrubbery. My buddy almost petted a feeding hen last year.