HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Turkey Hunting Camo
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2010, 06:26 AM
mouthcaller
Typical Buck

I've never worn the leafy thing and doubt that I ever will.

I don't pay a lot of attention to camo patterns. The camo industry is mostly driven by hype and clever marketing in my opinion. I freely admit that I own a lot of camo hunting clothes but, frankly, I couldn't tell you the name of most of it. I buy my hunting clothes based on the quality of construction, fit, and features of the garmet, not the camo pattern. I try to wear stuff with more brown in it early then more green later in the season, that's about it. Honestly I don't give it much thought because the best conceiment is gained by being motionless anyway.

Cut some branches and stick them in the ground around you to break-up your outline. Make sure the tree you're sitting against is wider than your shoulders. Wear a good facemask and gloves. Make sure your gun isn't shiney. Now that is some good camo!

I am "only" 49, but when I started turkey hunging we didn't have all this hi-tech camo. We wore mostly army surplus clothes or whatever we could scratch up and learned to use "natural" things like branches, weeds, terrain and the sun to our advantage. And we called up and killed turkeys if you can believe that :-).

I remember when Jim Crumley's "Treebark" camo pattern came out. It was the bomb man. I got a full suit of it including facemask and hat and honestly thought that it would make me disappear like Harry Potter's invisibility cloak. It didn't take too long to learn, however, that if I moved while in a turkeys sight that pattern didn't hide me any better than the army bdu stuff.

Last edited by mouthcaller; 02-04-2010 at 06:29 AM.