Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Storing uncooked Turkey? >

Storing uncooked Turkey?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Storing uncooked Turkey?

Old 11-17-2009, 08:26 AM
Spike

Default Storing uncooked Turkey?

Okay, so I have a whole, de-feathered, gutted, headless, footless turkey that I want to store for about 2 weeks...but I don't have a giant vacuum bag or anything like that to put it in.

Suggestions?

I was thinking saran wrap and freezer paper but I can't find freezer paper anywhere.

Should I freeze it or just keep it in the fridge? It's only 2 weeks. I've had vacuum packed fish and venison last that long in the fridge and was still normal.
Old 11-17-2009, 06:37 PM
Super Moderator

wrap it and freeze it
Old 11-17-2009, 07:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

honestly, id breast it and freeze it...

after cooking many wild turkeys, if come to the conclusion that the breast is the only thing worth keeping...theres no meat anywhere else except the legs..and that meat isnt much and its like boot leather..even if slow cooked in a crock pot...

you can get the breast into a gallon ziplock or freezer bag...i bought one of the ziplock vacum pump deals for fishing bait, and been using it on game...it works well for the price...not 100% great..but better than the old way of trying to get the air out and having freezer burnt meat in a week...

no matter what you do, id definitely get it in the freezer asap...i dont leave anything in the fridge over a day or so tops...

Last edited by mauser06; 11-17-2009 at 07:53 PM.
Old 11-19-2009, 03:31 AM
Spike

Place a frozen turkey, unopened and still in its wrapper, in a freezer at 0 degrees F or colder. Store no longer than seven months.
Store a fresh uncooked turkey in the coldest part of the refrigerator (wherever the cold air comes out) for no longer than four days.
If you need to refreeze a thawed, previously frozen turkey, keep the turkey in its unopened wrapper or rewrap very tightly and put in the coldest part of the freezer.
Old 11-21-2009, 02:46 AM
Spike

Chemical changes - such as rancidity - can also occur over time in the freezer, making the meat inedible.

So the turkey could keep well for longer than 6 months or even a year, but there is no point to hanging onto it that long.
Old 11-29-2009, 09:57 AM
Fork Horn

wrap it up with some of this...

then wrap in butcher paper.

I did this and thawed 6 months later, it was fine.