Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Bumped my bird...what next? >

Bumped my bird...what next?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Bumped my bird...what next?

Old 05-13-2003, 07:37 AM
Spike

Default Bumped my bird...what next?

This morning I bumped the bird I was after, I was sick to my stomach because I was so careless. When can I head out again and try and bring to big guy in?
Old 05-13-2003, 08:19 AM

Default RE: Bumped my bird...what next?

Don' t fret too much...you could even try him later this morning and you might have a shot! They will quiet down after a while.
Opening weekend I MISSED a really nice tom -watched him run to the end of a field, slow down to a walk and start gobbling again! I worked my way around him, managed to get lucky and get between him and a real hen calling (which he was gobbling at readily--must have recognized her voice). Shot him at about 20-25 yards. He weighed 27 lbs. (live weight-not field dressed) and had 1 1/8" spurs and a 10 3/4" beard!

You can expect the unexpected in this sport

Try for him again!....
Old 05-13-2003, 03:42 PM

I agree with Tom on this, I`ve bumped birds and had them come to the call within an hour. Change your location abit and give him some time to relax. I also like to switch calls or stlye ( soft vs aggresive).
Old 05-13-2003, 05:09 PM
Fork Horn

Id have to agree with the above post....there right in my experience. Ive bumped birds only to find them within 100 yrds on the same roost the next morning. Best of luck.
Old 05-13-2003, 05:43 PM
Typical Buck

Turkeys sometimes quickly get over an incident. I agree with the rest here, allow him a little time and he will likely get over it. LOL!
Old 05-15-2003, 08:47 PM

Agreed, don' t fret too much. You have a couple of options--come back to that spot in a couple of days and see if he is still there. Also, you could do as the others suggested, move to a different location and try a different call and see if he responds.