Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Bumped a large buck

Old 10-14-2008, 10:28 AM
Fork Horn

Default Bumped a large buck

I was coming out of the stand about 10 days ago and bumped a large buck bedded in a small pocket of woods. The wind was in my face but I'm sure he seen me and took off. My question is this and its pretty vague but what can you expect out of a mature deer when you bump him out of his bed on your way back to your truck? I never thought he would bed in this particular spot thats why I chose to enter and exit my place in this way. I haven't sat on my place since then and am looking to hunt this Friday for the first time in a couple weeks.
Old 10-14-2008, 10:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bumped a large buck

You should have hung a stand where you bumped him, and been waiting for him to return the next morning. Big deer bed in certain areas for a reason, to avoid death. His plan worked perfectly, and he was able to detect you before you killed him. Now though, unless you can get set-up in the dark long-before light, if you bump him again from the same bed, the jig is up. You can get lucky and sometimes catch a big buck coming back into the same area the next morning, but not likely if you bump him multiple times. He won't feel comfortable in the area any longer, and he'll be gone!
Old 10-14-2008, 10:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

You hit the nail on the head when you said..." never thought he would bed in this particular spot". IMO, a big, old buck will bed where he has (almost) never had a hunter approach. That's why he is there. If he decides to leave, he has a number of other places where he feels safe and has probably never had a hunter approach.

He may decide to return after realizing there is no longer any threat. The fact that you kicked him out 10 days ago should not be a factor for his return. If he's no longer bedding there, it may be because Oct is such a transition month and he decides to move because of a different food source or because his hormones are beginning to kick in.

I think additional scouting is requied to get a better feel for the woods. A lot can change in 10+ days in Oct.
Good Luck.
Old 10-14-2008, 10:49 AM
Fork Horn

I have used this same entry point to enter the bean field at least 6 or 8 times before I saw this deer. This path I use is a mowed combine cutout between two bean fields. I am going to change my route on Friday and see it that helps. Another thing is this: there is a good rub line with a large concentration of rubs at the opposite end of the bean field (approx 400 yards) from where I bumped this deer. I figured he'd be bedded in there close by the rub line somewhere so that's why I came in the opposite end of the field. My logic sucks I guess.
Old 10-14-2008, 04:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Last weekend my buddy bumped a nice 8 pointer walking out to the truck. Neither of us saw this deer untilthat time. he was more or less doing a lillte scouting on the wasy out and it was not his normal route to and from that stand, we won't hunt again til saturday and this buck should be back in there. Hoping the scrapes I spotted by one of the stands we have not hunted yet are his...
Old 10-15-2008, 01:10 AM

Bucks don't alwasy bed in the exact asme spot, where they bed is often dependent on the weather. One day they bed in the shade, another day they be din the sun (if it is cold). They often like to bed withe wwind at theif back, so they can smell what is behind them amd see ane hear what is in front of them.

Since they bed in different areas on different days, their daytime care area (where they spend the day bedding) can be from a few acres to a hundred acres or more.

Gnerally they have a lightly used trail, with rubs on 1-2 inch trees along the trail, that tells you where they travel, one trail in that they use in the morning, amd one trail they use in the evening.

You should not setup where you found the buck, because you will spook it out of the are,. Better to find the rub route trail it uses, and set up along it, at least 50 yards awy form the core area, so you dot spook the uck, but still hve a ahcne to see it during daylight hours.
Old 10-15-2008, 08:03 AM
Fork Horn

The rub line is about 100 yards east of where I saw this deer. The rub line starts and goes north. The problem with where it starts is that the wind swirls unpredictably there so you take a chance setting there. The rubs like you describe are there The rub line is long and at the other end is a different set of small rubs. The wind can be tricky there too though.