Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Scouting for Fall birds

Old 07-31-2009, 12:52 PM
Typical Buck

Default Scouting for Fall birds

I start scouting Sat. cant wait!! I will have an edg as we have had a lot of rain and so I am hoping for a lot of tracks to help. I will scout for them as I do for Spring turkeys.

I have never scouted for Fall turkeys anyone have any tips for me?

Will they gobble before light for a locater call?

I will post my results here, thanks for any help!
Old 07-31-2009, 02:45 PM
Super Moderator

I just sit in the woods and remain quiet. The hens will give them away...
Old 08-10-2009, 10:42 AM
Typical Buck

Default Scouting results

I found the area to be used in Spring, so I saw no turkeys but did find a roost area and old feathers. So now on to the next area...

Thanks for the tip.
Old 08-21-2009, 08:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just do a lot of walking and sitting til you find a good flock of toms. When you run into a flock of mature toms, hunt there often, you'll see em again. Don't hunt where you see a flock of hens or a flock of jakes, mature toms travel together in the fall and they compete with other flocks for food. You don't want hens around you in the fall, its a waste of time. When you find a flock of mature gobblers and get them patterned pretty well, set up in the area and gobbler yelp just a little bit to them til they get curious enough to check you out. Sometimes you won't even have to call, just wait for them to feed towards you and pick one out. Don't do any hen calls, and don't expect to hear any gobbling in the morning. They gobble sometimes, but not much at all. I would just go to an area where I have had good success in the spring and walk and sit a lot, watch to see if any flocks of toms show up.
Old 08-21-2009, 08:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bustin' em up and gobbler yelping them back in works really well too. When they get busted up they will ALWAYS re-assemble.......it may take 5 minutes, it may take an hour, but they will always find each other again. Fall birds are easier to pattern, but they are always always always hard to predict what they will do in any given situation. Find a flock of toms by being in the woods alot, hunt that area and you'll get one.
Old 08-23-2009, 01:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah you probably wont hear them gobble, it's possible but not likely. Hunting in the fall is completely different in the spring. The name of the game is scouting and then being in the right place. Has worked for me anyways. Good luck!
Old 08-24-2009, 01:05 PM
Typical Buck

Default Fall hunting

Thanks for the tips guys!!!!!!!!

I have never been fall hunting and am still trying to get time to scout again, I have two areas I'm going to check out, the season is coming up fast.

I thought I would pattern them then lay in wait for them like I do in the spring. Busting them up I know works for hunters but not sure if I want to do that and hope they come back although it sound like more fun.

Good luck in the fall!