Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 late season gobblers HELP ME!!!!!!!! >

late season gobblers HELP ME!!!!!!!!

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

late season gobblers HELP ME!!!!!!!!

Old 05-05-2003, 10:51 PM

Default late season gobblers HELP ME!!!!!!!!

I am in a predicament, it' s late season I have not killed a bird yet. They have quit gobbling and the hens are on the nest. the guys roost in different tress at night. some days i go and dont hear one gobble at all. discouragement is startin to set in i hunt eastern north carolina, going north central NC where there are more birds, also any calling advice would be appreciated i use a lynch box call and yelp and purr about every 10 to 15 minutes. this season is going to go by birdless looks like [:' (][X(][]
Old 05-06-2003, 03:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: late season gobblers HELP ME!!!!!!!!

some might disagree , but the soft yelp is cool, but try just cluckin' and purrin' ...not aggressively and not as much...maybe once every 30-45 min........you dont want to over call ...... if nothing else they know that where you are and if you dont over call , they might head in your direction.....worked for me.....good luck
Old 05-06-2003, 07:35 AM

I LIVED IN NC TWICE AND HUNTED CASWELL,ROCKINGHAM AND MOORE COUNTIES.THE BIRDS THERE ARE NOT ANY DIFFERENT TO HUNT THAN HERE IN MS.WHEN HENS LEAVE THE GOBBLERS, THE GOBBLERS WILL WANDER AND FEED AND IF THEY HEAR A HEN, MORE OFTEN THAN NOT THEY WILL RESPOND.I DON' T KNOW IF YOUR HUNTING PRIVATE OR PUBLIC LAND BUT THERE IS A DIFFERENCE.MY ADVICE WOULD BE TO COVER MORE TERRITORY USE EXCITED CUTS EVERY 1/4 MILE OR SO.THE OTHER THING I WOULD TRY IS TAKE A HEN DECOY AND HUNT OPEN FIELDS YOU KNOW TURKEYS USE.THERE ARE A LOT OF DIFFERENT OPINIONS ABOUT HOW TO CALL,WHAT SEQUENCE,CADENCE OR WHICH CALL TO USE.I KILL MORE BIRDS FROM 11:00AM-2:00PM THAN ANY OTHER TIME OF DAY.AND YES,I HAVE A TWO SERIES EXCITED CUT THAT WILL MAKE A GOBBLER RESPOND AND IN MOST CASES IF I AM NOT IMPATIENT HE WILL COME . GOOD LUCK
Old 05-06-2003, 04:00 PM

try the kee kee run a little. they work alot when there are gobblers around.