Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Talkin Turkey

Old 02-17-2007, 03:12 PM
Typical Buck

Default Talkin Turkey

I have been practicing my diaphram mouth call and am alright at it. I was wondering what words you say to get a good yelp and other turkey sounds. I can make an alright yelp but I dont say anything like I know most people do, I just have to get it just right in my mouth to get it to work. Also, how do you do a purr with a diaphram. THanks for any help!
Old 02-17-2007, 04:43 PM

Default RE: Talkin Turkey

I never understood how people said words to make the sounds. Never worked for me. That whole "chalk" thing, bogus. I just listened to the turkeys and mimicked their sounds with the call.

As for purring...

Can you make the motor boat sound with your lips? Vibrate your lips together? Put pressure on the call and vibrate your lips together. It takes a bit more practice than the other calls, but once you get it down you're golden.
Old 02-17-2007, 05:06 PM

yeah, i tried it before but i about choked on the freakin thing. im confused on how to make the right calls also
Old 02-17-2007, 06:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well .... way back when I started using mouth calls , I was told if you say these three words you'll get the sound your looking for.
The three magic words are ( Church ) , ( Chuck ) and ( Help ) you'll get the yelp , cluck and chirp saying those words.
The National Wild Turkey Federation has a link on calling tips , make sure your speakers are on and truned up , heres the link ... ( http://www.nwtf.org/calling_tips.html )
Old 02-17-2007, 09:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Never tried making words while calling? I just use my ear and try to mimmick the right sound.
Old 02-17-2007, 10:16 PM

Yeah, I don't say any particular word either. The best way to learn how to make the proper noises is to listen to someone that can use a mouth call pretty well. Then get them to take the call out of their mouth and make the noises they do while calling. You will get an idea of how much air you should be passing over the call andhow your mouth should be moving.
Old 02-18-2007, 06:41 AM
Fork Horn

I agree SCtrky. The various words, chalk, chuck, church, etc. will help some but be absolutely useless to others. I like your idea of finding someone that is proficient on a call and then asking them to make the same sounds with the call out of thier mouth.............again not foolproof (cause everyone probably makes slightly different sounds) but I bet it could be helpful.................wonder why those guys in the video's haven't thought of your idea yet?

Old 02-18-2007, 06:46 PM
Typical Buck

Washington Hunter
Of all the hints Ive been given, The oneabout purring has helped me more than anything. I thought I would have to do some complicated vibrateing with my tongue, thanks for the help everybody.
Old 02-18-2007, 07:37 PM
Typical Buck

I don't say words either. Make the sound with tongue pressure and jaw movements.

I get a purr witha gargle and very relaxed lips that will vibrate like has been said.
Old 02-18-2007, 07:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

I tried it tickles the heck out of my palate!