Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Coyotes affecting gobbling >

Coyotes affecting gobbling

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Coyotes affecting gobbling

Old 05-12-2009, 02:52 PM
Fork Horn

Default Coyotes affecting gobbling

I live in Western Pa and have been hunting a area were at least two longbeards would gobble regularly but i haven't heard anything in about a week. This morning was no exception but when i was driving over to the other side of the property I was hunting to listen, i saw two coyotes in the field were i was heading one was a big male and the other a female. Coyotes are starting to become more populated here i just wanted to know if these coyotes have been harassing the turkeys will it make the gobblers shut up. Because I finally went to a different area about 5-6 miles away after seeing the coyotes and heard mutiple gobblers.
Old 05-12-2009, 05:32 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Coyotes affecting gobbling

Thats a good questions because I have notice a lot of 'yote in my area this year and have also noticed less gobbling going on.
Old 05-12-2009, 05:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Coyotes will most definitely make the gobblers less vocal. The gobblers realize that their calling satellites their position to anything that hears it. (Thats why they do it - so the hens can find them) So, IMO, does an overpopulation of coyotes or coyotes harassing the turkeys effect gobbling? --Heck yeah..
Old 05-12-2009, 06:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

On roost, I don't think coyotes would have a great impact on gobbling. Once on the ground, I would say maybe. Turkeys deal with yotes every day. Coyotes take very few adult Wild Turkeys.I think the lack of gobbling is probably because the peak gobbling period is over. That doesn't mean they won't respond to calling though. Then again, I guess a healthy predator population could have an impact.I think dogs can have a greater impact on gobbling than coyotes.
Old 05-14-2009, 03:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

In one particular area this year I hunted there was a lot of gobbling going on, but it did seem to taper off a bit later on when I started seeing several coyotes.....but it could have been the normal progression of things as well since it was public land with a bit of pressure.
Old 05-14-2009, 05:29 PM
Fork Horn

gobbling should pick up here again and the hens start to nest, I wouldn't be surprised if you start to hear more gobbling in the next few weeks.

Old 05-14-2009, 07:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've heard that is a big problem where coyotes are abundant. The turkeys learn quickly that theircalling attracts the coyotes and they stop calling.
Old 05-14-2009, 09:03 PM
Spike

I don't think it would stopthem fromgobbling
Old 05-15-2009, 03:05 AM

its does if you ask me. we heard a gobbler thsi morning gobbling pretty good. then we were trying to get closer. as we were getting close he completely shut up. so we waited and then we called. we heard this chuuuug chuug and im l**** what is that. the other guy is like idk never heard it. then we call again. now we what we think is a hen. its ounds like a purr then a few yelps. (i was turned looking the other dierction from where the sound cam from) the guy said dont move. im like do you see one. hes like not yet. then hes like give me the freaking gun hes like there a freakin coyote down there. i give him the gun and he unloads two shot at it. then it runs off SLOWLY. it was so thick that yu barely see it runnign off and it didnt run very fast. he was shooting at the head. and he definately hit it were just not sure how good. we think its prolly dead.