Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Hunting after a week of hard rains >

Hunting after a week of hard rains

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Hunting after a week of hard rains

Old 05-07-2009, 03:50 AM

Default Hunting after a week of hard rains

It has rained here on and off with hard rains for the past week. I haven't been able to get out any this week. Where I hunt it contains one descent sized field and 75+ acres of hardwoods. With two more days of the same forecast would it do me better to set up on the field sat. morning or chance it in the hardwoods where I have heard birds all season?
Old 05-07-2009, 07:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Hunting after a week of hard rains

Start in the hardwoods and try to get them after they come off the rust...Make a quick move to the field about 8:30...
Old 05-07-2009, 08:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Hunting after a week of hard rains

If it's raining they'll be in the field by mid morning . That's when a blind comes in handy! Set it up on the field, use it after the first couple of hours.
Old 12-21-2009, 11:49 PM
Spike

I've used a balloon over the muzzle with a rubberband to hold it in place. Of course, I get caught in the woods without a balloon more often than I care to admit, so on those occasions I usually make it a point to pause every once in awhile and pour the water out of the barrel.

In all seriousness, I don't think it matters all that much. These are, after all, pretty small holes we're talking about. Any water that's likely to collect down there would be vaporized so quickly that I can't see it affecting the path or power of the bullet in any significant way - at least not enough to be significant at common hunting-shot ranges.

I make it a point to give my gun a good cleaning after a day spent humping around in the rain, but other than that it isn't something I get too worked up about.
------------------------------------------------
beaches sandy bay
winstrol v