Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Season is over and I am moving too.  Some reflections. >

Season is over and I am moving too. Some reflections.

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Season is over and I am moving too. Some reflections.

Old 04-30-2003, 07:27 AM

Default Season is over and I am moving too. Some reflections.

I am a United Methodist pastor and must move across the state in June. The folks here introduced me to turkey hunting 3 years ago and I will be eternally grateful. In those three years I have taken 9 longbeards including 4 this year---so as you can see this area is full of birds. While I enjoy taking the birds---that was not the most meaningful aspect of turkey hunting for me.

First, it got me back into the woods. I grew up in east Tennessee and hunted squirrels and rabbits as a teenager. A first career in the Navy took me away from the woods for 30 some years. I will turn 50 this year and have gained a greater love for the outdoors than ever before.

Second, (OK I' m a pastor---so standby), there is something deeply spiritual about turkey hunting. To walk into the woods in total darkness and silence has often reminded me of lifelessness and hopelessness. But then to have a new day breaking, full of spring colors and the sounds of God' s creation coming to life for yet another day---a reminder of how we all can be renewed in spirit and live with hope--full of life. Of course there is NOTHING like an ole Tom sounding off close by to renew anybody' s spirit. But turkey hunting is not all about turkeys---it is being in the midst of and enjoying the wonder of God' s great creation.

I will still be in Alabama and there are turkeys where I am moving---but I' m not sure it will be the same. Every turkey I shot in these three years was taken within 4 miles of my house---one was less than 1/2 mile away. I do hope that I will be able to get some turkey hunting in next year.

My favorite scripture verse has always been Isaiah 40:31: " But those who wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength, they shall mount up with wings as eagles." With apologies to Isaiah I connect that verse with our favorite activity: " But those who wait upon the Lord---will eventually take a turkey."
Old 04-30-2003, 12:01 PM

Default RE: Season is over and I am moving too. Some reflections.

Good luck on your move! I know what you mean about the spiritual side of turkey hunting. I certainly sense it!
Old 04-30-2003, 12:55 PM

The woods have always been my " chapel" ...

Amen!
Old 04-30-2003, 05:23 PM

We are loosing our pastor in June, one of disappointing things, in my opinion, about the Methodist Church. I would love to have a hunter come to lead our congregation! I have become friends, through my father, with a retired Methodist minister from SC who said that a member once told him that he was sure that if he heard a turkey gobble from the pulpit, he would immedietly give the Benidiction.
Old 04-30-2003, 07:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

i thought i had replied to this already ........hohum......
good luck in the future and God bless you.......the way you worded this about turkey hunting is so true..........
Old 05-01-2003, 08:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sour01 it sounds like you have a pretty good handle on things. I think you will be okay in your new surroundings though I sense your disapointment in having to move. This will just add a new chapter in your journey of life and open up new opportunities to enjoy additional hunting grounds.

I really liked your analogy of darkness and light. Isn' t it amazing how we are surrounded by so many parallels in nature to life but are not able to make the connection for one reason or another.

You are so right, turkey hunting is so much more than just turkeys. The quarry matters not. It is the process, the experience, the interaction with plant, animal, earth and universe, that touches our lives and enhances our relationship with our Creator. In the final analysis these are the things that make the outdoors so special.

Good luck, I wish you well with your move.
Old 05-01-2003, 01:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well I' m sure being a pastor at a church has its advantages... Maybe someone at the new church your going to will hook you up
Old 05-01-2003, 03:03 PM

Sour01, congratulations on your great season, 4 gobblers, WOW![] May your move go smoothly, I' m sure you will settle in quickly in your new town and adapt to new hunting grounds soon as you get some located. Like Mr. Longbeard said, soon as members of your congregation find out you like the outdoors, I' m sure you' ll have no problem finding several hunting spots. Good luck and God bless!!