Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Free NRA Membership

Old 05-05-2009, 06:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Free NRA Membership

ORIGINAL: earnabuck

Maybe its on the table, but its never ever going to pass. If you want an assault weapon because it's fun to shoot, then there is a nut out there that can get an assault weapon too. He'll think its fun to shoot (people). Which is going to cause a bigger problem 300 rounds per minute or 20. I don't deny that guns in peoples hands can deter crime, that isn't the point of this post. The point is that you are afraid all firearms will be taken away. There is no reason to have an assault weapon."Fun to shoot"isn't going to make me feel ok about it. Imagine the crimes that have been committed at Columbine, Virginia Tech, Malls. Imagine if those people had an M16 with 500 rounds. Instead of 10 -15 deaths there would be 50or 60. I know your response of course will be, if people could have had guns on them then they could have shot that sob. Well, maybe, but of course they would have had tobe extremely proficient in using the firearm in order not to harm others. I believe it would potentially be a more dangerous situation.
I hate to say it but your logic is irrational. I am a law abiding citizen who has worked in the defense industry for over 25 years to help secure the freedoms that we all enjoy. You must enjoy shooting your weapons and going hunting, but the majority of the people in America don't think that you should have that right. Sure an assault weapon has ability to kill a larger number of people at a time, butshould the fact that there are a few crazy people out there be an adequate excuse to take away my civil rights? Using that logic we should ban alcohol, how many people die a year to drunk drivers or alcohol poisoning. Or how about the people who talk on cell phones in cars, or how about just banning cars in general. Yes people died at Columbine and Virginia Tech but does anybody realize that in the United States over 400 people a year die in collisions with concrete mailboxes? More people a year would be saved by creating legislation banning mailboxes that aren't made to breakaway. How about the big one, tobacco. There are approximately 400,000 deaths from tobacco use in the U.S. every single year.

I'm sorry that you don't feel that I don't have a right to own something which I think is fun but I've earned it! So when you destroy all of your guns(any one of which is capable of killing), never take another drink, smoke a cigar or drive a car again then and only then will you have earned the right to criticize others.

And contrary to what you might think, I don't even own an assault rifle or have a concealled weapons permit. But those are choices that I have made for myself, not by someone else.