Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Question regarding upcoming hunt??? >

Question regarding upcoming hunt???

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Question regarding upcoming hunt???

Old 04-29-2009, 11:11 AM
Typical Buck

Default Question regarding upcoming hunt???

Curious question on how you might tackle this scenerio that Im going to be facing. Im hunting birds this Friday here in Indiana and its calling for 20mph winds from the SW and a 50% chance of showers. I have the option to hunt two different properties and both have turkey's on them. the first property has several skinny food plots that work their way thru the property with one of them opening up into a big circular area with a few hard wood trees in it. There is a creek on the north end of the property and a open field on the east perimeter but I cannot hunt. There is also a small, creek/ditch that runs from the east to the southwest and a small pond near the east perimeter. The area has elevation changes but nothing major. The other property is slightly bigger and has a big 300 yd long food plot on the N/NE end of it. Its completely open as well. There is another food plot on the west side of the property that has only a few trees in it and about 100yds long. The property has steeper hills and some trails cut out for easy acces in and out and to be quiet. There is a creek that runs along the south boarder of the property also. Which property would you choose and were might you set up? Im hunting all weekend but dont want to give up on Friday even though I know it will be windy. I know they can still hear my box call in the wind. First picture is of property #1 that I talked about and second picture is of property #2 that I talked about.

Old 04-29-2009, 11:12 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Question regarding upcoming hunt???

2nd property

Old 04-30-2009, 09:59 AM
Typical Buck

That is some fine hunting ground. If it were me and the weather your gettingI would hunt #2 by the large field. The high winds are hard to hear birds and if it rains they usually go to the fields to feed. I had high winds here in Missouri on sunday with 30mph andI was using my Primos Crystal pot call and got a few close in but no shooters.I would get there early and set up some decoys so they can get a visual if the winds hurt the calling. If they see the decoys they usually will come running if your not calling. Get yourself a locator call such as a owl, crow, peacock call and hit that in the morning to see if your in the right spot. I use a crow call and it works great. If you have thunder during the day listen carefully as the birds will shock call back at it. This gives you more opportunity to locate them. Good luck and let us know how you did.
Old 05-05-2009, 09:32 AM
Typical Buck

How did you do?
Old 05-05-2009, 11:51 AM
Typical Buck

I worked the second property on the first day, worked the small food plot in the NW corner and had two toms and a hen for about 90 mins, after they left I worked my way southand set up on a finger that came up to a pretty nice flat, before I was fully set up, had a nice tom come in to 15 yds and about thrash my jake decoy and let my arrow do its job and got him. 9 5/8 inch beard, 17.2 lbs, spurs were 3/4 inch and 1 inch. 9:45 am.
Old 05-05-2009, 05:49 PM
Typical Buck

That's one fine day in any book. Congrats. I've tried with bow but always get picked off somehow.
Old 05-06-2009, 04:35 AM
Typical Buck

I got lucky he went down into a depression in the woods and we couldnt see each other and it allowed me to draw my bow and be ready. I was fortunate.