Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Iowa Gobbler...

Old 04-28-2009, 02:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Iowa Gobbler...

The only reason I think that may have been the case is because the shell that fired was one of the first three that clicked. As I ejected them, the fell on the ground....so I just reached down and picked on off the ground and threw it in. Not sure. Like I said, I have not had one ounce of trouble before this.
Old 04-29-2009, 05:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

Great bird... congrats.. you guys out in the Midwest grow some big birds!!!!

Old 04-29-2009, 08:06 AM
Typical Buck

You had the chamber closed - ifitwere openthe trigger sear would not have released and it wouldn't have clicked.

Youmayneed to replace your firing pin and/or spring.Did you take a look at the primeron the rounds that didn't fire? If the primer is only slightly indented, or not indented at all, you most likely have a firing pin issue. That is easily fixed.

I would advise youto shoot those shells that didn't fire in another gun to rule out ammo issues (highly unlikely that multiple shells are bad). If those shells go boom in another gun then your problem lies in your 1300. A good gunsmith can then figure out what your problem is and fix it in short order.

Mouthcaller
Old 04-29-2009, 08:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

nice, at least you got a great story out of it, congrats
Old 04-30-2009, 03:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: zubba

Thanks guys. I don't know what the deal was. I've been using this Winchester 1300 for the past 8 years with absolutely no CLICKS...lol. I was using the same shells I've been using for years...Winchester High Velocity 3" 6 shot. The only thing I can think of is when I loaded it, I was trying to be quiet, so maybe I didn't slide the pump all the way up...not sure....but I have a hard time believing it would happen three times. I plan to shoot my gun again before next season, which starts tomorrow.

Either that is one stupid bird or you are one lucky guy.
I know, I can't believe the bird didn't scram. I was just sitting in front of a tree too...not like I was in a blind or anything.

Where do you hunt at in Iowa,
I hunt in Jackson County, near Maquoketa.

congrats on the nice bird neighbor I also hunt Jackson County north of Maquoketa up by Otter Creek