Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Iowa Gobbler...

Old 04-28-2009, 10:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Iowa Gobbler...

Was fortunate enough to harvest a nice Iowa gobbler today. The weather was perfect this morning and the birds were going crazy on the roost. I was working this guy on the roost prior to flydown...probably 200 yards away or so. Shortly after flydown, I could tell his gobbles were getting closer. I first spoted him about 100 yards away and he was on a beeline for my setup. Once he crossed the creek and saw my decoys, he went into strut. Had him at 25 yards, pulled the trigger and CLICK??!?! WFT!!!! Quietly ejected the shell, another went into the chamber, pulled the trigger, CLICK. WTF AGAIN!!! Quietly ejected that shell, the last one went into the chamber, CLICK. Now I'm pissed, and to Tom knows something is up. He wasn't putting, but he started walking away knowing something wasn't right. Quickly reached down and threw one more shell into the chamber and BOOM...bird down....37 yards. 26 lbs 2 oz, 9" beard, 7/8" spurs.

Old 04-28-2009, 11:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Iowa Gobbler...

Congrats on a nice bird! What kind of shells were you using? That had to be pretty nerve wracking hearing the dreaded click...
Old 04-28-2009, 11:42 AM
Fork Horn

Nice job. I was out with a guy first season and he had the same thing happen to him, but only once. Where do you hunt at in Iowa, I live in Cedar Rapids, but hunt in Appanoose County. I got one second season and am going to try my luck again this weekend during fourth season.

Dan
Old 04-28-2009, 12:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

the worst sound in the world CLICK.
congrats
Old 04-28-2009, 12:30 PM
Fork Horn

wow congrats mabey you should write a letter to the manufactore to tell them your story unless you re loaded them by ur self and complain to them i did that with .22 shels every box of 50 rounds 5 or 6 didnt go off and they gave me a brand new brick of shells for free
Old 04-28-2009, 01:05 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Yo zubba - Nice bird sir!

and did ya ever figure out what was wrong with the gun or the shells?

Man talk about being lucky!

If I was you I would get rid of both and revamp!

JW
Old 04-28-2009, 01:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

thats a nice looking bird. congrats man. what kind of shells were you using?
Old 04-28-2009, 01:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

A longbeard lets you click three times and eject and put a new shell in your gun three different times, and still hangs around? Either that is one stupid bird or you are one lucky guy.Congrats on a very nice bird.
Old 04-28-2009, 01:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks guys. I don't know what the deal was. I've been using this Winchester 1300 for the past 8 years with absolutely no CLICKS...lol. I was using the same shells I've been using for years...Winchester High Velocity 3" 6 shot. The only thing I can think of is when I loaded it, I was trying to be quiet, so maybe I didn't slide the pump all the way up...not sure....but I have a hard time believing it would happen three times. I plan to shoot my gun again before next season, which starts tomorrow.

Either that is one stupid bird or you are one lucky guy.
I know, I can't believe the bird didn't scram. I was just sitting in front of a tree too...not like I was in a blind or anything.

Where do you hunt at in Iowa,
I hunt in Jackson County, near Maquoketa.

Old 04-28-2009, 01:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

i had a buddy do that. didnt get the chamber closed and click. but it cost him his bird.

Quick Reply: Iowa Gobbler...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.