Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Another newbie with a question. >

Another newbie with a question.

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Another newbie with a question.

Old 04-25-2009, 03:14 PM
Spike

Default Another newbie with a question.

How well can a turkey hear? This morning after unsuccessfully sitting over a hen decoy, I was taking a break at the truck. A turkeygobbled about 100 yds away out of sight on a small hill. I decided to give chase and stalked him the way I "still hunt" for deer. Take 4 steps, stop, listen, 4 more steps, stop, listen, etc. Was this overkill or can they hear really well? Every once in while I would call very softly to see if he would respond.
Old 04-25-2009, 05:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Another newbie with a question.

A turkeys sense of hearing is four times better than ours and thier eyesight is nine times better , they can see and hear you coming well before you can see or hear them.
Your best bet is to know where there roosting and where there going to drink , dust , strut and feed and then try to set-up some where in there travel route and wait it out.
Just try to be quiet , ready and still when they make thier approach and in time it will pay off for you.
Old 04-26-2009, 05:20 AM
Fork Horn

The hearing and eye sight of the wild turkey are both 8 to 10 times better than ours.
They can pinpoint where a sound comes from by just a few feet.
Old 04-26-2009, 04:56 PM
Fork Horn

Gobblers can hear you calling and they will gobble and they can be so far out you can't even hear them gobble they can hear and see so good its amazing!
Old 04-26-2009, 05:34 PM
Fork Horn

Their hearing and eyesight is extraordinary. But don't makeit what it isn't. You can still put a sneak or a stalk on a turkey if you make loops, move slow, and place your foot very carefully. You'll also need weeds, vines, trees and whatnot betweenyou and him.

(sorry about getting of topic a little bit, I just got carried away)
Old 04-26-2009, 05:46 PM
Typical Buck

That doesn't work my friend.

Unless the terrain is the Maikong jungle you won't be very successful trying to stalk a turkey. He will see and hear you and then you will hear putt putt and he be gone.

You should have slipped into a nice spot in front of a big tree, clucked and purred a few times, scratched the leaves some, and thenget ready.
Old 04-26-2009, 06:15 PM
Spike

Even though I didn't catch up to that Tom, I can at least say that I'm learning every time I go out. Thanks for the good info. Who says an old dawg can't learn new tricks?
Old 04-27-2009, 07:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've successfully spot and stalked, and killed several turkeys over the years. It's really almost easy if its windy. BUT as was said, they can hear better than we can, and not only is thier eye sight very good, but I've read that their tiny little brains actually process what they see 8 times faster than humans do.