Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Newbie question

Old 04-05-2006, 04:10 PM

Default Newbie question

I'm new to bowhunting so i was wondering if someone could help me out. I have a Hoyt Ultrasport and the draw weight is set at 52. If i increase it to say 55 or 60 is that gonna effect arrow placement or anything? Or should i just leave it at 52? In another words, does increasing the draw weight effect any other parts of the bow?
Old 04-05-2006, 04:11 PM

Default RE: Newbie question

Yes,it will more than likely affect impact point,but more importantly it may affect the spine of your arrow and ultimately the tune of the bow.Doing soshould also shorten your brace height,which may or may not be a problem depending on your form.WELCOME by the way
Old 04-05-2006, 04:46 PM

Precisely what newman said. Yes, it will affect things, but if you are still going to be spined ok, you can adjust your sights and correct most everything else.
Old 04-05-2006, 06:29 PM

cool. thanks for the info.
Old 04-05-2006, 07:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

You have the answer to your question. Now some advice. You are new, right? Leave the bow wher it is for now and just learn how to shoot it well. This is easier with the weight turned down. There is nothing more frustrating for a new shooter than trying to learn to shoot when he's struggling with the bow.

You have all summer to work up to a higher weight. As for possible retuning? It should only take a few hours at most.
Old 04-09-2006, 02:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Don't worry meatismurder?, although your name is questionable I understand where you are coming from. I knew things would change if the draw wieght was changed butI didn't know why. And BGfisher, I have had my bow for 5yrs, been shooting habitualy for 3yrs and have hunted 1 season. You say keep the draw wieght down and shoot for the summer, My draw wieght has stayed the same and this year it has become almost too easy too draw.... accuracy is still a problem so I limit myself in range but I would like to becomea more effctive hunter. Is tuning a prblem or should I shoot more? Should I increase my draw wieght? yet?
Old 04-09-2006, 06:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

"Don't worry meatismurder?, although your name is questionable "

LOL

Hey sandilands.
If your not hitting a certain spot most likely it's you and not the equipment. A not tuned bow is one that is tuned to be not tuned and should produce some similar results (at the same distances). If they go all over it's a good bet it's you. Improve your form and you'll see what equipment changes need to take place. Try some tuned bows and let someone who shoots well giveyours a whirll.
Old 04-09-2006, 06:45 AM

ORIGINAL: sandilands

Don't worry meatismurder?, although your name is questionable I understand where you are coming from. I knew things would change if the draw wieght was changed butI didn't know why. And BGfisher, I have had my bow for 5yrs, been shooting habitualy for 3yrs and have hunted 1 season. You say keep the draw wieght down and shoot for the summer, My draw wieght has stayed the same and this year it has become almost too easy too draw.... accuracy is still a problem so I limit myself in range but I would like to becomea more effctive hunter. Is tuning a prblem or should I shoot more? Should I increase my draw wieght? yet?
The name's a joke by the way.
Old 04-09-2006, 06:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

"The name's a joke by the way."

LOL. Never can tell around here. Pretty bold move for a new guy.

Good hunting!
Old 04-09-2006, 07:12 AM

Nothing wrong with lighter weight bows. All my bows are set at 55#, and my arrows slide right thru them big whitetails...

Quick Reply: Newbie question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.