Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

An Exciting Morning

Old 04-25-2009, 05:13 AM

Default An Exciting Morning

Having very little time to Turkey hunt this year, I was really looking forward to hunting as I headed out this past Thursday. Unfortunately, I underestimated the time it would take to get to my spot and arrived a little late (first light). I got my equipment together and double timed it, a half mile to my spot.
I was hunting a 3 acre field with 6 very small clusters of trees / thick brushscattered across the field, which are perfect for ambushing game.

I set my jake decoy up 15 yards from one of the tree clusters and got set-up inside the cluster. I was sitting no more than 5 minuts and I heard a gobble. The past few times I've hunted this location I've heard gobbles and yelped back and the birds when quiet. This time I sat still and didn't respond. Every minute or so, he'd gobble again and it was growing louder, so I knew he was heading my way. I caught movement to my right and saw three deer running the edge of the field. They cut into the woods about 65 yards from me. 2 minutes later the turkey, still gobbling, appear at the edge of the field where the deer ran in.

He walked 20 yards onto the field before he saw my jake-decoy. He went in full strut for a minute, then quickly walked 40 yards directly to my decoy. I had my bead on his head at 15 yards, but It was only a jake (5 inch beard). My largest bird had an 11.5 inch beard, so I decided to let this one walk in hopes his gobbling would attrach the boss tom. He kicked and pecked my decoy until it was flat on the ground. Then he attempted to mate it. This went on for 10 minutes. After he was convinced my jake was "dead" he walked 10 yards away and started gobbling in response to every crow that made a noise. It was a very cool experience watching this unfold.

Eventually a hen came out on the field and the jake walked 60 yards to her. He mated her, which was the first time I'd ever seen this. Then the two of them began combing the field for food. The jake frequently when into full strut, it was a great sight.

After an hour and a half of this, I began thinking I should have taken the jake. No Toms had come and I only have one other day I can hunting this season (can take two per season). SoI decided if I could call him back to me (75yards), I'd take him.

I got out my double duce slate call and softly purred followed by a yelp. The jake immediately went into full strut and began looking for the source. 60 second later I repeated the yelp and here he came, on a string. He began gobbling again and walking directly to me still looking for the source. He got with-in 20 yards and I shot.

So not a big bird, but truley an exiting morning. I'd never had a turkey kick my decoy's butt. It was the first time I'd seen turkey's mate, and I had the satifaction of calling him in.

Old 04-25-2009, 07:16 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: An Exciting Morning

Congrats! Sounds like it was a great hunt.
Old 04-25-2009, 07:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

congrats
Old 04-26-2009, 04:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

congrats
Old 04-26-2009, 07:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice bird. Congrats.