Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 One exciting morning >

One exciting morning

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

One exciting morning

Old 10-08-2005, 09:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default One exciting morning

Happened to me this morning.
I got up around 4:40 and headed out to my stand at around 5:40.My buddy went one way and I went the other.It was a very dark,overcast,windy morning .I made my way to the stand quietly and turned my flashlite on when I approached the stand.I straped my bow to the hoist rope and proceded to climb my ladder to my perch 17 feet off the ground.
First things first is getting my safety belt on.I was fumbling with my flashlite and noticed a flicker in the dark not 15 yards from the base of my tree.I went back on it to see what it was and low and behold it was a young bear maybe 100lbs.To say the least I was quite nervous.He was standing there behind the tree the whole time I was on the ground.
I shooed him away,buckled up and hoisted my bow into my stand.Set everything up,and proceded to wait for first lite and hopefully see some deer movement.
Maybe 5 minutes after I was settled I can hear scratching on a tree directly below me.I pull the flashlite out once again knowing this young bear is hanging around and really wanted to make sure there wasnt a bigger one with it.
Now I am perched in a big maple,and another just to my left maybe a foot apart.This tree I hang my bow,quiver,etc.He is standing on his hind legs,scratching the tree directly below me.Licking his lips and I have nothing but a bow in hand which is useless in the extreme dark.I shoo him about 3 times and he is just standing there stairing at me.I stand up,kick the platform of the stand and yell at it,knowing I just warned every deer in the country of my presence-----lol.He then jumped about 3 feet in the air,and ran off into the thick woods never to be seen again.

Being a young bear,I know he was just curious.Really couldent make out what a big blob of leafy camo is doing in the tree but he eventually got the point I wasnt dinner.
To be honest,I was a little uncomfortable with the situation.
In my 17 years of hunting on my own I have never run into a situation like this before.

I never did see any deer today,but I will be back out tomorrow at around 5:30 in the morn.Wish me luck guys
Old 10-08-2005, 09:28 PM

Default RE: One exciting morning

Quite the story there.I would of probably been a lil nervous myself.
Old 10-08-2005, 10:06 PM
Typical Buck

i was was you that mornin, i would have to go get a new pair of pants..lol
Old 10-08-2005, 10:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Man that does sound a little scary. Wonder where momma was? She'll probably be waiting for you on top of your stand in the morning.
Old 10-08-2005, 10:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

That'd definately make me uncomfortable too! I've never been around a bear in the wild so I'd be shakin'. I don't care how big or small he/she is.
Old 10-08-2005, 10:52 PM
TJF
Nontypical Buck

Jason

You just got to remember what they say... they are more afraid of you then you are of them. Well that is what I've heard. We don't have bears here... so keep that in mindplus I've never heard of one sh!tting it's pants. I much rather deal with our skunks, coons and badgers when ground hunting. You can keep them bears. Maybe isn't so bad not to have manytrees here!!

Good luck on your hunt tomorrow.

Tim
Old 10-08-2005, 11:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

That is quite a story Jason ,if it had have been me I'd of waited till day break then I'd a fed him an Axis ,because I have a bear tag in my wallet .I'm not likely to use it this season since we don't have too many bear's here ,but we do have a few .
Did you notice ILL Buck's post on his great buck for our team ? I'm sure there will be more to hit the ground this season and we're gonna give them all a run for their money this season ,LOL

nubo
Old 10-09-2005, 12:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

get you awake thats for sure. Once in a lifetime story for your kids
Old 10-09-2005, 05:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Let me see do I disturb the woods or am I going to have a wrestling match with a bear.Isn't it funny how we prioritize things when we are hunting.Maybe a buddy of yours smeared jelly donuts on the back of your tree.