Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 How far will you shoot at a turkey? >

How far will you shoot at a turkey?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

How far will you shoot at a turkey?

Old 04-22-2009, 07:12 AM
Fork Horn

Default How far will you shoot at a turkey?

I was just wandering how far you guys will try to shoot at a long beard.. The farthest I will try is 50 yards the farthest I've shot one this year with my gun is 45yards..
Old 04-22-2009, 07:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How far will you shoot at a turkey?

45 yards for me. But I wouldn't recommend taking a far shot unless you have patterned your gun at that distance.
Old 04-22-2009, 07:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Just like with bowhunting my max distance is also dictated by the situation. I've patterned my gun out to 60 yards and while I have enough pellets in the head and neck to get a kill, I'm not relying on that "golden BB" on a live animal.

In the woods my max distance would likely be 40 yards. There can be unseen branches that will break up your pattern allowing a rolled bird to fly away.

In a field I might push it to 50 yards, but that would only be if it was 11:59 and it was clear he wasn't moving any closer. I know I'd kill a bird at that distance if I do my part, but it's a lot more fun trying to get them into your lap and all fired up.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

50 yards with IC choke and Hevi13 #5's
Old 04-22-2009, 08:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Reallistically 50ish but I patterned my gun last weekend and had 3 consecutive shots at 60 yards with a 10 shot hit in the head so that's not to shabby
Old 04-22-2009, 08:53 AM
Fork Horn

30 yards.

I hunt down in the bottom of a ravine bordered by two creeks.

That's as far as I have clearing to shoot.

If I was hunting in a field - maybe 40 yards (maybe still only 30)
I like the challenge of calling them in close.

Old 04-22-2009, 11:06 AM
Fork Horn

I have killed them at 56 yards, I thought he was about 10 yards closer and didnt have time to range him and ranged it after I shot. I pattern my gun at 60 with heavy 13s and a Indian Creek choke and knowI can kill em at that distance, but in the field I only would shoot to about 50 yards.

All that being said, I prefer to shoot them at 20-30 yards. Thats a distance where my pattern isnt TOO tight yet still will putover 100pellets in the head and neck.
Old 04-22-2009, 12:13 PM
Typical Buck

Depends on the situation.

In the woods with weeds, sticks and branches I try to get the turkey to 25-35 yards. I really don't want themany closer than that because my set-up shoots an extremely tight pattern. I've killed them in open woods further than that - it just depends on how thick or open the undergrowth is.

In fields or other types of wide open conditions, with no or little wind, I feel comfortable out to 55 yards. I've killed a couple stone dead past that but those situations were unusual. Wind can move a pattern at long distances so one must be careful about that. It is also imperative that the turkey is standing completely still with his head up exposing as much of the neck as possible.

Remember also to aim not at the head butat the neck around thewaddles. Aiming at the head simply throws half of your shot harmlessly over the top of the turkey's head.

If you are setting up a gun for the tightest pattern possible then I strongly recommend some type of sighting device other than a single bead on the end of the gunbarrel. I use a low-power scope and really like it, but red-dots, holosights,or even traditional iron sights will all improve your aimcompared toa single bead. The difference is substantial in my experience.

FYI - I shoota ported 24"Mossberg 835, Star-Dot .676 ported choke, Nitro Company 3.5", 2.25 oz "Triplex" load of 4X5X7. With double porting, a limbsaver pad and the extra weight of the scope and mounts this gun is not unpleasant to shoot at all. Before the modifications it would absolutely dog stomp you. Now it feels more like a big push rather than a mule kick.
Old 04-22-2009, 03:05 PM
Typical Buck

As far as I can toss, NOT THROW, something at it. I've shot one about 40yds, he died after he flopped for a minute or two but I didn't exactly enjoy the show. I'd rather let them get as close as possible so they go down and stay down without any other movement.
Old 04-22-2009, 03:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

As mentioned, it obviously depends on hunting/lighting/shooting conditions, but under ideal situations.... my turkey gun will easily throw 50 to 60 yard grouping with Hevi-13 loads. The farthest shot I've ever made was 52 yards with a N.W.T.F Browning Gold.

Quick Reply: How far will you shoot at a turkey?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.