HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - How far will you shoot at a turkey?
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2009, 12:13 PM
mouthcaller
Typical Buck

Default RE: How far will you shoot at a turkey?

Depends on the situation.

In the woods with weeds, sticks and branches I try to get the turkey to 25-35 yards. I really don't want themany closer than that because my set-up shoots an extremely tight pattern. I've killed them in open woods further than that - it just depends on how thick or open the undergrowth is.

In fields or other types of wide open conditions, with no or little wind, I feel comfortable out to 55 yards. I've killed a couple stone dead past that but those situations were unusual. Wind can move a pattern at long distances so one must be careful about that. It is also imperative that the turkey is standing completely still with his head up exposing as much of the neck as possible.

Remember also to aim not at the head butat the neck around thewaddles. Aiming at the head simply throws half of your shot harmlessly over the top of the turkey's head.

If you are setting up a gun for the tightest pattern possible then I strongly recommend some type of sighting device other than a single bead on the end of the gunbarrel. I use a low-power scope and really like it, but red-dots, holosights,or even traditional iron sights will all improve your aimcompared toa single bead. The difference is substantial in my experience.

FYI - I shoota ported 24"Mossberg 835, Star-Dot .676 ported choke, Nitro Company 3.5", 2.25 oz "Triplex" load of 4X5X7. With double porting, a limbsaver pad and the extra weight of the scope and mounts this gun is not unpleasant to shoot at all. Before the modifications it would absolutely dog stomp you. Now it feels more like a big push rather than a mule kick.