Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 What kind of gun to use? >

What kind of gun to use?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

What kind of gun to use?

Old 03-29-2009, 05:41 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: What kind of gun to use?

I use a .22 magnum and most people I know use a rifle around here in WV. Personally if I couldn't use a rifle I would use a bow asI just don't enjoy using a shotgun but I'm not going to bash anyone who does. Some say that using a rifle isn't appropriate..I think that's nonsense but everyone is entitled to there opinion. I got mine last year with the Federal 50gr HP's... a buddy of mine uses Remington 33gr V-Max loads.
My Father prefers a .222 with FMJ's...he does not believe in using calls or 'ambushing' them off the roost. To each his own. My advice....form your own opinions and preferences... if you like the rifle and it's legal in your state then use it...don't let some idiot tell you it's not 'sporting'. I'm sorry but it makes my blood boil when someone that uses a shotgun, decoys, calls, and sets up next to a roost try to tell someone that uses a rifle that it's not 'sporting'.[:@]
Old 03-30-2009, 07:19 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: What kind of gun to use?

If it is legal go ahead if you like, however inmy winchester sx2 i have tried several different chokes six to be exact everything from $20 dollar chokes to the $90 mad max choke. Also tried all different rounds all manufacters lead and hevi shot and copper. i have probably spent $400 or $500 to get the best combo possible out of my gun and it is with a $30 carlson choke and federal flite control lead rounds 14 and 15 strikes in the kill zone at 60 yds. I have toped it off with a 1.5 to 4 power scope but that is due to a eye diease that I have.

Good luck and let us know how you do