Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What kind of guy is this? >

What kind of guy is this?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What kind of guy is this?

Old 01-18-2004, 08:03 AM

Default What kind of guy is this?

I saw this in a Mississippi Game and Fish magazine. Talk about a horrible hunter. Why would he do this. I wouldn't shoot at that if it was a 16 pointer. This guy, Odis Hill, shot a 10-11 point buck. Here's the bad part of his story: "He never stopped so I hit the release. It was just luck. That's the only deer I've ever hit running. I've shot at some before, but that's the only one I've ever hit."
The arrow hit the buck in the neck, severing the jugular vein. He ran between 50 and 75 yards before dropping behind a cypress tree.
"I'd like to be able to tell you I was aiming for his neck," Hill said. "But I was just aiming for deer."

It was in the Mississippi Game and Fish in the October 1990 edition.

That is just horrible.[:@][:@][:@]
Old 01-18-2004, 10:50 AM

Default RE: What kind of guy is this?

Your not kidding man what a butthead. I couldnt imagine ever trying to hit a moving deer let alone a running deer. That is just plain dumb.
Old 01-18-2004, 11:22 AM
Super Moderator

From the sound of the story the guy took a wild shot, just hoping to hit the deer.....not good!

On another note, about 1/2 of the deer I have killed were slowly walking down a trail, and 1/2 were broadside at a standstill, usually feeding. I have shot one running deer, he was chasing a doe and ran right under my stand, so I proceeded to spine him. He went down like a ton of bricks! Under no circumstances did I shoot at him "just hoping" to hit him. I "knew" I would and I knew I would bury an arrow through his lungs or spine him!
Old 01-18-2004, 11:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

That is just plain dumb.
Right On
Old 01-18-2004, 11:57 AM

The guy truly must have never thought about the consequences if he missed and just injured the deer. I sometimes wonder how these people get licensed to hunt. [X(]

Old 01-18-2004, 12:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

I saw this in a Mississippi Game and Fish magazine.
I can't imange a reputable magizine printing such a quote. Bad call on both the shooter and the editor.
Old 01-18-2004, 03:45 PM

ORIGINAL: Cougar Mag

Under no circumstances did I shoot at him "just hoping" to hit him. I "knew" I would and I knew I would bury an arrow through his lungs or spine him!

If you know you can hit him in the vitals then take the shot. This guy said it was luck.
Old 01-18-2004, 03:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

That guy was lucky but he is still a butthead. I'd taking a shot at a running rabbit but not a deer. [:@]
Old 01-18-2004, 04:40 PM

how could they put that in a magizine.[:@]
Old 01-18-2004, 07:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Obviously a rookie editor just looking for a story to write.The hunter on the other hand either is very good or very dumb to even talk about it in a magizine. DUH!

nubo

Quick Reply: What kind of guy is this?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.