Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 What kind of gun to use? >

What kind of gun to use?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

What kind of gun to use?

Old 03-26-2009, 06:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What kind of gun to use?

We only have the shotgun or bow option to kill turkey with here in Illinois and by far, THE most prefered weapon is the 12 gauge. My favorite 12 gauge load is 3", 2oz, #6 Hevi-13, Hevi-shot. This load is simply awesome in every shotgun that we've fed it to. Good luck and good shootin'
Old 03-26-2009, 07:47 PM
Fork Horn

I'm still hittin' 'em with the same Rem 4x6 Duplex loads I've been using for darn near a decade. They pattern so well out of my 870, I don't need to change a thing. I will be trying some Hevi out once I eat up all these loads I have yet.

These are what I use: http://www.remington.com/products/ammunition/shotshell/turkey/premier_duplex_magnum.asp

This is what I use it in:

Rem 870 with my own paint job. Rear barrel, of course.
Old 03-27-2009, 03:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

If it is legal to use a rifle where you hunt (I don't have any idea), and you feel like hunting say with a 22 LR or a 22 WMR, I don't feel that is unsportsmanlike. I'm assuming head/neck shots only, meaning you'll need to call them in close anyway. I wouldn't shoot for the body with the LR, maybe with the WMR, but you'd need to be very familiar with turkey anatomy to put a killing shot on one that will also result in a recovery of the bird. You may find the rifle more frustrating to start with, as a shotgun leaves a little more room for error. Bottom line is, the weapon does not make you take an unsportsmanlike shot.

I watched a a TV show with Ray Eye and another hunter. That guy (not Ray) took 2 bad shots on film with a shotgun. After each one he cussed himself saying he never should have shot, couldn't really see the bird, just fired where he thought it was.
Old 03-27-2009, 05:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: UncleNorby
I watched a a TV show with Ray Eye and another hunter. That guy (not Ray) took 2 bad shots on film with a shotgun. After each one he cussed himself saying he never should have shot, couldn't really see the bird, just fired where he thought it was.
That was Turkey Revolution, the shooter was Paul Butski. Even the pros miss... 2 different birds, I would have been torqued at myself too! I give them credit for airing the bad shots. You don't see realistic hunts on tv that often.
Old 03-27-2009, 06:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

After each one he cussed himself saying he never should have shot, couldn't really see the bird, just fired where he thought it was.
This got my blood boiling. That right there is how people get shot while hunting. in my opinion this guy should be beat with a wet noodle over and over on the court house steps. Maybe it was a good thing they showed it so some people know exactly what NOT to do while turkey hunting.

Always make sure of your target no matter what your shooting!
Old 03-27-2009, 06:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

After each one he cussed himself saying he never should have shot, couldn't really see the bird, just fired where he thought it was.
This got my blood boiling. That right there is how people get shot while hunting. in my opinion this guy should be beat with a wet noodle over and over on the court house steps. Maybe it was a good thing they showed it so some people know exactly what NOT to do while turkey hunting.

Always make sure of your target no matter what your shooting!
Old 03-27-2009, 07:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't mind that he missed, I've missed, most everybody will sooner or later. It was him admitting he couldn't even see the bird when he shot that bugged me. He anticipated the bird would enter an opening where he could shoot and he pulled the trigger. His second miss was probably due to misjudgin yardage. He stopped counting at 50 paces, and he hadn't reached the spot the bird was when he shot. That's too far for me. I know other guys have a setup that allows shooting at 50, but my standard full choke limits me to 30-35 max. So, I purposely set upin spots whereany bird I can see is already within that range.

I know hunting, and hunting for a camera, are two different things, but some of these guys try a little to hard to get one killed on film. After the second miss I got up and turned off the TV.
Old 03-27-2009, 05:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here in Florida we're allowed to use rifles. For taking a body shot you'd be better off using something more powerful than a .22, but it is a bit worrysome that others are in the woods using decoys only 20 yards away. I hate the thought of a gobbler coming towards my setup and someone sniping him with a .223 from 200 yards. I work with a guy who uses a .17 hmr, but hitting a turkey in the head with it is tough. He still has to limit his shots to 60 or 70 yards at most and the advantage of the extra distance is negated by the fact that he misses a lot.
Old 03-28-2009, 07:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have several at my disposal. But I'm carrying my Beretta 391 20ga. Right nice toting a 5# gun that kicks like a pellet rifle rather than the man killer 835.
Old 03-28-2009, 08:21 PM
Fork Horn

well i got an 12 gauge that i use for turkey hunting and it's really up to you on the gun you want to use

Quick Reply: What kind of gun to use?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.