Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 MO Opening day SUCCESS!.... PICS Fianlly added >

MO Opening day SUCCESS!.... PICS Fianlly added

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

MO Opening day SUCCESS!.... PICS Fianlly added

Old 04-21-2003, 09:48 PM
Typical Buck

Default MO Opening day SUCCESS!.... PICS Fianlly added

Hi guys!

Got lucky this morning and had one heck of a memorable hunt! It started out slow, but picked up later on.....

Arrived at our farm around 5:45 this morning and waited for the gobbling to start. Waited, and waited, and waited! Nothing. Finally around 6:20 one fired up. So my brother-in-law(and best hunting buddy I must add) and I, headed to him. On the way there, Turkeys started gobbling all over! We for sure heard 5 other Gobblers on the way in. Set up about 6:45 on a small spur in the middle of the hollow we first heard him in. My buddy gave a soft series of yelps and he gobbled about 75 yards on the other side of the spur. He called again and was immediately the turkey answered back. About 10 minutes later I saw the turkey' s head about 50 yards out as he slowly walked toward us. He really got fired up then! I don' t know how many times he gobbled and then immediately would puff up in full strut. this went on for about 10 minutes. Finally he decided to come on in. I finally got a shot at 22 steps. I hit with a full load of 3 inch magnum #6 shot and folded him up! While this was going on 2 more gobblers had fired up about 150 yards from where I had just killed the Tom. Put my tag on him, and got out my orange out and unloaded my gun. We talked for few minutes and decided to go try one of the other turkeys. So we get up and head down the hollow towrd the other gobbler. We slipped into with 80 yards or so of where we figured he was. I made a series of yelps and he cut me off with a gobble. I waited a few seconds and hit him again. No answer. Waited another 5 or 10 minutes and called again. No answer. So I told my buddy that i was gonna hit him with the hard stuff. I don' t really like to do that because it seems like it makes them want to stand right where they are and gobble and strut. I started cutting and cackling at him and finished it up with a plaintive series of yelps. No answer. Waited a bout 2 minutes and decided to stand up and try and move a little closer. We almost messed up! Just as we stood, I saw him about 75 yards out walking our way at a fast pace. I told him, " There he is! about 60 yards....." 30 seconds later, my buddy took him at 27 steps! It was the first double I had ever been in on. Man was I stoked up!

My bird ended up weighing in at 23 pounds 8 ounces. 10 1/4" beard with 7/8 and 1/2 inch spurs. He had broken one off during a fight I guess. My buddy' s turkey was a jake. 14# 3 1/2" beard. Mine was my best to date. The best part was, I shot my bird at 7:15 am he took his at 8:15 on the dot! 2 birds in an hour! The only bad thing is, now I gotta wait a whole week to hunt again!

If I can, I' d like to post a pic of me and my buddy with our birds, but I' m afraid I' m an idiot when it comes to PC' s. Could someone post it for me if I email it to them?

Thanks in advance!

GH

Finally got the pics from my buddy. Sory it took so long....
Old 04-21-2003, 11:00 PM

Default RE: MO Opening day SUCCESS!

Grasshopper if you have the picture on your PC just edit this post. Once you are on the edit section click on " click here to upload" , then click on browse. Click through your files until you get to your picture and double click it. It will take a few seconds to upload, then click the box that says " embed picture in post" . After clicking OK, your picture should then be added to this post.
Old 04-21-2003, 11:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

that week is going to be here before you know it........good luck and congrats to youboth on your harvests....[8D]
Old 04-22-2003, 12:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

That could be a hard one to top!

Congratulations!
Old 04-22-2003, 06:52 PM

Hey Grasshopper13, sounds like you had a great day, congratulations! My nephew and I had an opening day remarkably like yours, but it took us 2 hrs. to get our 2 longbeards. It don' t happen like that very often, so you gotta enjoy it!! I' m in the same boat as you, can' t go after my 2nd bird til next Monday.
Old 04-22-2003, 07:09 PM
Typical Buck

YUP. It' s a nice problem to have though!

I have been just waiting by the phone for some of my hunting buddies to call......LOL! I guess I' ll just settle for listening in the mornings until sunday.

I should have the pics in another day or so....

GH
Old 04-22-2003, 08:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Way to go on the double!!!
Old 05-07-2003, 08:28 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: MO Opening day SUCCESS!.... PICS Fianlly added

Let me try this again.......

It keeps telling me the files is too large....any ideas?

GH
Old 05-07-2003, 10:18 AM

if you have a picture editor, you' ve got to reduce the # of pixels, usually can resave at a lower image quality/pixel #. Else, crop.
Old 05-07-2003, 10:33 AM

good bird. Congrads to you both. I have never been in on a double in my life. I hope tht week gois by fast for ya, and hope you get anther. Good LUCK!.

Trc. Merc.