Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Ahhhh the feeling of success...(story added)(need help with pics) >

Ahhhh the feeling of success...(story added)(need help with pics)

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Ahhhh the feeling of success...(story added)(need help with pics)

Old 03-26-2006, 07:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Ahhhh the feeling of success...(story added)(need help with pics)

well after years of hunting turkeys and not getting a gobbler i finally did this morning!!!!

i went out this morning not thinking much would happen since a cold front had moved into the area this weekend. yesterday i called in a nice gobbler but he spooked. i went back to close to the same area and listened for gobbles. nothing happened in the immediate area but then i heard a gobble on the back side of the property behind me. i then circled around to where i thought he was and found a good spot to set upmy feather flex flock. i put the hen and one jake in the breeding position and proceeded to call to the bird. he was off to my right and sounded really close. i waited a few minutes and i notice a bird behind my decoys toward my left. it was definately a gobbler due to his head so i got ready to shoot. i could tell it was a jake and thought for a second as to whether i should wait for the older bird. then i started thinking that was the dumbest idea to ever enter my head. i have been turkey hunting for 5 years and i finally get a chance on a bird andpass it up... yeah right. by this time he was about 30(or so i thought) yards away from me. he stopped and i shot. he went down and i ran up to him. he picked his head up like he might try and flap away so i shot again. this time he didn't move. i stepped off the distance and it turned out to be 41 paces. concidering i have very long strides(i'm 6'3' and all legs) a veteran turkey hunting friend figures he was closetoif not over 50 yards away. if i had known he was that far i probably wouldn't have shot. i ended up with a 19# jake with a 3 inch beard and 1/4 inch spurs. i would undoubtably say he was the most beautiful bird i've ever seen. you just have to love those osceolas.

pics will be soon i have to download them from my sis' camera.

p.s. i was shooting my Rem 870 express turkey camo with the remington extra full choke shooting federal #6 flight controled shells.

Old 03-26-2006, 07:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Ahhhh the feeling of success...

Congrat!! Your first will always be special. Cant wait tohear your story and see the pics!
Old 03-26-2006, 07:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Way to go! Congrats! [8D]
Old 03-26-2006, 08:05 AM

Can't wait for them pictures!!
Old 03-26-2006, 08:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

congrats, sounds like a heck of a trophy!!
Old 03-26-2006, 08:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: drhntr178

congrats, sounds like a heck of a trophy!!
definately... i was just thinking about how this was so much more meaningful to me me than my first deer or hog. in either case i hadn't put in nearly as much time and effort as i had with my turkey.
Old 03-26-2006, 09:40 AM
Typical Buck

way to go can not wait to see pix
Old 03-26-2006, 09:46 AM

Congrats to your new bird. In my mind, you made a great choice on the spot to take a maturing jake instead of losing out this season. Next year, it will have to be a Tom....!
Old 03-26-2006, 09:47 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Congratulations - Atta boy!

Now save those wings - contact me if ya want a wingyboney call.

JW
Old 03-26-2006, 10:29 AM

CONGRAT, AND HOPE YOU GET MANY MORE

Quick Reply: Ahhhh the feeling of success...(story added)(need help with pics)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.