Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Tom/Jake Gobble differences >

Tom/Jake Gobble differences

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Tom/Jake Gobble differences

Old 02-15-2009, 11:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Tom/Jake Gobble differences

I tend to think that older birds have kind of a rattle to there gobble. That and like most have said there gobble sounds cut off.
Old 04-28-2009, 03:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Once again earlier this season I was shown that there is no foolproof way to tell if a gobble is from a jake or a tom. This past weekend I got on a bird with a full, mature sounding gobble. Ten minutes later it shows up, and its three jakes. So, as said before, I dont really think there is any way to tell with 100% certainty whether it is a jake or not. Certainly, there are times that the jakes do the halfgobble and its clear that its a immature gobbler. But not always.
Old 04-30-2009, 07:22 PM
DTC
Nontypical Buck

I also think alot of it is where you hunt. From my hunting experience rio and merriams jakes gobble alot more than my easterns. Easterns have a deeper gobble more like a bass singer and rios and merriams have a higher pitched gobble. Alot of times a jake will even yelp after he lets out his pour excuse for a gobble. Roost sights are also another way, the big toms always try to take the best spots.

Probably the best advice is work the bird, if he comes in and is a jake, learn what you did right or wrong, let the bird walk and move on. If you shoot him, he will never make a longbeard. Good luck!
Old 05-02-2009, 06:09 AM
Fork Horn

Like everyone's posted a jake's gobble is shorter, that's about all I can say. But you need to be careful. jakes often stick together so a lot of times they will all gobble at the same timeand it sounds like one full mature gobble. So listen carefully.
Old 05-02-2009, 06:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

That is true about the jakes hanging together and sounding like one mature gobbler. Although, a jakes gobble is not always shorter, as I've found out before. Sometimes they are, but not always.
Old 05-02-2009, 09:49 AM
Fork Horn

Yea sometimes jakes will sound mature. I'vebeen set up on one that would give 2-3 good gobbles and then give not even a half gobble like 1/4 of one. Sometimes that can inicate an imature 2 year old or a 1/2(super jake)