Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Pop Up Blinds

Old 02-09-2009, 07:43 AM
Typical Buck

Default Pop Up Blinds

Do Turkeys spook like deer from Pop up blinds? Can you set them up out in the open? Thanks.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:42 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Default RE: Pop Up Blinds

ORIGINAL: rochelle

Do Turkeys spook like deer from Pop up blinds?
No but you canhelp yourself by staying in the back fo the blind in the shadows. If the blind is in the wide open have the sun to your back of the opening of the blind.

Can you set them up out in the open? Thanks.
Yes - - but do take heed of the sun - keep it alwayas at your back.

Here is an example of an early morning hunt of a wide open field.

You can see I am under a balsam and the sun clearly is at my back. I did nothing special with this blind to brush it in and the decoys are placed only 7 steps from the front.

JW
Old 02-09-2009, 09:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've only started using pop up blinds in the last couple of years...

I have not tried one right in the open, but I have set them up on the edge of fields and pastures and had turkeys walk right up to them them.. I have a friend who kills gobblers every year with traditional archery gear, and he often sets up his blind before daylight , in the open, within sight of a gobbler's roost tree and has the bird walk right into close bow range..
Old 02-09-2009, 09:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've had mine out in the open and it doesn't seem to bother them. But if they see you moving in there they will take off pretty quick.
Old 02-09-2009, 10:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice pictures, JW...!!...

My popup setups have been similar to that..I try to set them in an edge, hopefully with some background cover, but have made no efforts to brush them in... Never tried one in the middle of an open field, but as I say, I've only begun to use them the last couple years..
Old 02-09-2009, 02:00 PM
Typical Buck

I've stuck em rt. in the middle of fields many times. They will walk rt. up to em. If you have screens for the windows you can leave them all open. If you don't you'll have to shut the one's that are away from the side of the blind you expect birds to approach from (ie. the back of the blind). I doget there pretty early whenever I do decide to use one out in the open, better yet, set it up the day before if you can.

Pygmy- Hey Dan!, long time no see.

Dan
Old 02-09-2009, 03:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dan... Good to hear from you....

I'll be in Port Charlotte from March 10th to 18th... You'll probably be killing gobbelrs by then...
Old 02-10-2009, 02:59 PM
Typical Buck

I just started using popup blinds recently also. I was a little nervous about setting them up on the edge of a field, without brushing them in, but no more. I set the blind up a couple days before the season, and two days later, when I went back, there were tracks no more than a foot from the base of the blind. During the season I had turkeys walking right past without being the least bit nervous. I haven't tried setting the blind up in the middle of a field, but I have yet to hear anyone say that it hasn't worked.
Old 02-10-2009, 03:30 PM
JW
Super Moderator

I set-up hours to minutes before or the night before. Depends on how safe I feel leaving the blind. It has made no difference at all.

JW