Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Need help ASAP!

Old 04-15-2003, 06:16 PM

Default Need help ASAP!

Never hunted turkey before.

Saturday and Sunday I saw and heard some turkey at about 2:30 in the afternoon at the same spot-in a little clearing next to a stock tank on my lease. The tank is bordered by about thirty acres of woods. The woods are bordered on all sides by ag fields. I have not found their roost, but will be going out there Friday morning before sunrise to try to shoot one.

Are these birds probably roosting in these woods, or may they be crossing the ag fields? Also, if they are roosting in these woods, would it be effective if I set-up where I have seen them and start calling just before or at sunrise?

Jason
Old 04-15-2003, 06:51 PM

Default RE: Need help ASAP!

i would try and get them to gobble with a crow or owl call or whatever you can use to shock em. id look to the woods as their roosting site. you ve seen em and patterned them now you get to shoot one maybe. even if you cant get them to shock gobble, you know you got em in that spot. sit and wait. good luck
Old 04-16-2003, 06:40 AM

Can I use a turkey call to got them to shock gobble? If I' m using a striker call, what is the most effective way to use the call to get a reaction?

Jason
Old 04-16-2003, 06:48 AM

Also, if I am seeing these birds at 2:30 in the afternoon, would their roost be far off? How far will these birds travel during the day away from their roost?
Old 04-16-2003, 07:12 AM
Typical Buck

Ducks 4, if you saw them at 2:30 in the afternoon, they could possibly be roostin in those woods, but a turkey can travel a good piece in 5 hours, so they may be crossin the fields and roostin somewhere over there.
get out a daylight and listen for them to gobble. that' s the best way to know for sure where their roostin.
Old 04-16-2003, 07:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

I posted this couple wks back. I went out around 2 wks ago now after a fresh snowfall, to back track some birds to find their roosting spot. The birds were seen by my son around 7am. I started there. 2 hrs later of non stop walking except to releave myself, and well over a mile of walking I found the roost! I couldn' t believe how far they had traveled since fly down. But this is my area, and were still not experiencing much spring weather yet with snow still on the ground then. But it told me what turkeys are capable of to find food. If you can get out in the evening, see if you can roost one then. Use a crow, and owl hooter trying to get a tom to gobble off the roost near dark. From flydown until 2:30 is along time, but depends on what your area has to offer for them also. Other idea is if your state allows afternoon hunting, setup around time your seeing them @ that spot.