Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Need help ASAP!! >

Need help ASAP!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Need help ASAP!!

Old 10-04-2008, 07:00 AM

Default Need help ASAP!!

Hey all, I don't post on here very often, but enjoy reading everyone's stories. Well I need some help. My brother just called me and said that he shot a big buck. He was hunting out of a blind and a buck crossed a fence right in front of him. As soon as the buck crossed the fence, he noticed the blind and started stomping at it. Anyways, he was about to turn and go the way he came, and my brother was able to get a shot off. He said that the buck had pretty much turned broadside and he shot. My brother said that the buck dropped instantly in his tracks and started thrashing around on the ground. The buck tried to get up and fell again. After a couple minutes, the buck got to his feet. My brother tried to shoot him, but was all nervous and missed. The buck was able to semi-trot away, but my bro said that his back leg or legs were really limping. He only had two arrows with him (dumb a@@), so now he is looking for the arrow he missed with. He found the 6 or 7 inches of his first arrow broke off on the ground. So now what? I told him that he had to of hit spine, but maybe he just grazed it. He was so excited, so he can't remember where the shot went at all. So if a deer has had his spine grazed, will he die soon? I told him that he needs to try and follow the direction he was going and put another arrow in him. What do you all think? He is going to be calling me back shortly, so any info. would be great. Thanks guys.
Old 10-04-2008, 07:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Need help ASAP!!

If it was not in the vitals, give it time or else he will just keep jumping the deer and pushing it even further away. If the buck is hit bad enough and not pressured, you have a chance that it will lay down and die. I'd wait 2 - 3 hours and then go in to track.
Old 10-04-2008, 07:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

For that buck to drop in his tracks, he had to have been spine shot to some degree. There has to be some damage to his spine for him not to be able to get up right away. I sure hope you find him. Actually, you should be out looking for that buck with your brother instead of on the forums.
Old 10-04-2008, 07:13 AM

did you read this? http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=2987754

Old 10-04-2008, 07:14 AM

I wish I could be out looking with him...I would give anything to be out there. Unfortunately, about 400 miles separate us, so it just isn't a possibility. I guess I'll tell him to back out and come back in a few hours. The weather was really cool this morning where he was at, but the high temps are suppose to be just over 70.
Old 10-04-2008, 07:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Where is he at?
Old 10-04-2008, 07:25 AM

He is in Dubuque, IA. I actually just talked to him again. He said there isn't much of a blood trail at all in the direction that the deer went. I told him that he should back out and come back in a few hours, so that is what he is going to do. The deer was running through a real short grass field. He either could have crossed two fences to get to some timber, or kept going to a standing corn field. With the spine injury, I would think that he would skip the fence crossings and go for the corn, but I guess I could be wrong. Anyways, thanks for your quick help and I'll keep you updated as to what happens in a few hours.
Old 10-04-2008, 07:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

If Dubuque was closer I'd go help him, but it's 200 miles from here. Sorry. If he needs advice and wants to call me, PM me and I'll send you my phone #.
Old 10-04-2008, 07:30 AM

tell him to look at a topo map. wounded will likely travel downhill.
Old 10-04-2008, 07:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: mjhamel

I wish I could be out looking with him...I would give anything to be out there. Unfortunately, about 400 miles separate us, so it just isn't a possibility.
My mistake.I thought you lived nearby.[:@]I'm afraid there might not be much of a blood trail. He'll do well to try to get some help in looking though. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Need help ASAP!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.