Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Turky Running Down A Deer >

Turky Running Down A Deer

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Turky Running Down A Deer

Old 01-20-2009, 06:06 PM

Default Turky Running Down A Deer

I'm hunting out of my blind in WV about 14 years ago and watching a dow during buck rifle season when all of the sudden I saw an old hen chase a dow down over the hill....The hen had its wings hight in the air and chased the deer away....Has anybody ever seen this?
Old 01-21-2009, 03:19 AM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Turky Running Down A Deer

ORIGINAL: bon8699

I'm hunting out of my blind in WV about 14 years ago and watching a dow during buck rifle season when all of the sudden I saw an old hen chase a dow down over the hill....The hen had its wings hight in the air and chased the deer away....Has anybody ever seen this?
I have seen a coon chase a doe, it was funny.
Old 01-21-2009, 05:01 AM
Fork Horn

Funny you say this....last fall we had a bunch of deer around this one stand...then in early nov it became over run with turkeys and we didnt see a deer...we shot a few of the turkeys off ( late fall turkey season) and they quit coming and the deer came back....we actually had a discussion if they would run deer off...oh well maybe just a fluke.
Old 01-21-2009, 06:54 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Quite some time back as I was trying to roost 2 toms and a few hens inthe Upper Pennisula of Mich I witnessed a Tom who went after a yearling.

The flock was just sort of feeding as fly-up time was close. Out came this doe and yearling and the yearling was rather frisky running back and forth. Well it decided to chase and investigate the hens and Toms - To my chagrin as it rushed this Tom The Tom hopped up and hit the back fo the young deer and that was that. Didn't last long but the doe lead the yearling away.

I have also witnessed many times deer feeding among the flock I have been after. Makes it much more difficult to get close because now the flock or Tom I am after has a sense of smell because of the deer!

JW
Old 01-21-2009, 06:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

A couple years ago I saw a doe that was out of bow range. I tried grunting at the deer when another doe I didn't see bolted and took the one I was watching with her. I had the wind and barely grunted, I didn't think I was spotted, and wondered why they ran. Just as they took off, a hen started calling from the position of the deer that bolted. As she called,I watched 21 birds march straight to her. Before I knew it, they started flying up to roost, in the same group of trees my stand was in! So there I was, roosting with these turkeys wondering how I was going to get down without spooking the whole flock... I waited til they completely settled down and it was totally dark and somehow made it down without spooking them. I still don't know how I did that. Anyway, I'm thinking those deer ran from the hen, not from me. Guess I'll never know.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've seen turkeys chase deer off on several occasions. Usually it was a yearling or fawn that wascurious and got a little too close to the turkeys private zone. We were scouting one day and at the end of a field were about 6 or 7 deer and one lone gobbler. One of the young does got too close to the tom and he popped her with his wing. She nearly did a back flip getting out of the field. All theruckus and dust flying spooked the other deer too.Itwas funny to watch. I've watched standoffs between coons and deer. The coons always prevail againstthe younger deer. I have a picture taken at a feeder where a coon is standing up with its front legs (arms?)spread out in a face to face confrontation with a doe. It's hilarious.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:30 AM
Typical Buck

Seen it a couple years ago. Momma and and a yearling come out in the field with about 40 turkeys. The yearling got a little close to a big hen, and the didnt like it. She chased that yearling pecking at its heels. One of the funniest things I've ever seen.
Old 01-21-2009, 05:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have never seen turkeys chase deer off, but I have seen a buck try to run turkeys off..... it was funny...the turkeys would run off, and as soon as the buck would go back to eating, they would surround him again. I think they were just egging him on...