Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

calls

Old 01-07-2009, 07:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default calls

i have a box call it is the quaker boy the box. is this a good box call?
http://www.quakerboy.com/store.php?c...on=show_detail
what are some easy to use, inexpensive, work well slate calls?
what are locator calls and what are they good for?
Old 01-07-2009, 08:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: calls

That call will work perfectly for you if you practice, practice, practice.
There is a slate call called the Quaker Boy X Pot that is very easy for beginners to use. Basically, you just draw the striker from one side of the X to the other, and it creates a yelp. Like I said real easy to use, and I think it usually runs around $15-$18. Still practice, practice, practice no matter what you get.
A locater call is like an owl hoot, or a crow call. Basically, you use the call and listen for a turkey togobble. When you hear the turkey gobble you know a general idea of where he is so you can go get him. Normally you use the owl hoot in the early morning or late evenings, and you use the crow call around midday or whenever crows are up and about.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:28 PM
Typical Buck

I personally think that most any slate call is pretty easy to use. Takes a little practice to get the hang of it but give yourself an hour to practice with one and you should be able to master it. I think a plain slate surface is probably the easiest to use, some of the newer high tech surfaces seem to require a little more maintenance. Personally I'm a little partial to Primos calls, although they are admittedly a little more expensive. Any of the major call makers (MAD, Primos, HS Strut, Quaker Boy, etc.) all make good slates. Also look around and see if you can get your hands on custom call. There are a lot of good small scale call makers around and often times their calls sound better because they are hand made as opposed to mass produced like the big call makers.
Old 01-08-2009, 09:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well if you're not running and gunning, I don't think you're gonna need a locator call. If you are running and gunning, let me know.
I have a K&H slate, I believe it's called the Hen House (with adjustable pitches and volumes). I love it, but I don't think it was cheap. Really any slate will be fine, as long as you practice and get good on it.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

i think im going to get the HS strut voodoo
Old 02-05-2009, 10:35 PM
Spike

I bought a new box call last year from Woods Wise that does not need or use caulk it's weather proof and makes the sweetest turkey sounds that you can imagin, can't wait till the season opens to try it out