Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 A few questions for the Turkey experts... >

A few questions for the Turkey experts...

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

A few questions for the Turkey experts...

Old 01-18-2009, 11:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default A few questions for the Turkey experts...

Alright fellas, I'm still in the process of collecting gear for my very first turkey season. I've got some good spots scouted out and I should get myfirst bird this spring. But I still have a few lingering questions that I would appreciate some input on...

- What size shot do you prefer in your shells and what length?
- What's your favorite turkey vest?
- What kind of scope do you prefer? Fixed, variable power, red-dot...(For those of you that use scopes)
- What kind of decoy set-up do you prefer? (For those of you that use decoys)
- Do you prefer blind hunting or still hunting?
- At what distance should I pattern my shotgun?
- For those of you using Remington Wing Master HD in a Remington shotgun, what choke patterns the best for you?

I'll be hunting with a Remington 11-87 Super-Mag Sportsman. I would rather have some other kind of aiming device other than the vent-rib and the bead on the front for more accuracy.
Old 01-18-2009, 11:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: A few questions for the Turkey experts...

1. I prefer #6's in a 3" shell. 6's give you more pellet numbers per shell, and it seems that the majority of the 3" shells that I have tried pattern better than the 2.75", or 3.5" shells.

2. I bought a turkey vest from Wal Mart a while ago and modified the crap out of it. Not sure if you would want to try that, but you would end up with a custom turkey vest.

3. I prefer the fixed scopes (I normally use a 4x32). Gives you a nice clear sight picture.

4. If I use decoys I normally set up with a jake and hen decoy. I either position them feeding or breeding, just depends on the situation.

5. I hunt all public lands, and to be quite honest sitting in a blind doesn't work too well. Still I have hunted both ways, and they both have there pro's and con's.

6. I start out patterning at 40 yards. Once I get the pattern I am looking for at that range I just keep going farther till I don't have a reliable pattern anymore. After that I work my way from 40 yards all the way into 5 yards in 5 yards increments just so I know what the pattern looks like thru the whole range.

7. I have not been able to get any of the patterns I would like to see with the wingmaster hd, but an Indian Creek .665, and Hevi-13 3" #6's is a deadly combo in that gun.
Old 01-18-2009, 12:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think Hurricanespgspelled it out well.

The only thing I have a comment on is the vest- Is there really the perfect vest ? Mine never seem to enough pockets...

Old 01-18-2009, 12:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Patterning should be done with different chokes and shells, but I do spend more time shooting at 40 yards.

I have a 1.75x5x20 on my turkey gun, but here's what a red dot looks like that I took a pic of a friends setup

Old 01-18-2009, 01:35 PM
Fork Horn

1) Nitro's - 4X5X7
2) Limbhanger
3) No scope
4)DSD hen decoy and B-mobile
5)Blind
6)40 yds and 50 yds
7) I would recommend a Jellyhead for a Remington
7) How about open sights that mount to your vent-rib?
Old 01-18-2009, 03:20 PM
JW
Super Moderator

I use Winchester Copper Plated Supremes12 Guage 3 inch No #4. I used 6s in the past but the 4s give me more muzzle velocity, Which results in better kockdown power while it also increased my lethal yardage- IF I need it..

- What's your favorite turkey vest?

I bought one of thos Dixon vests some time back as part of the cost went to Cancer research. I wore a Buck Creek vest until I wore it out afterr many years of abuse.

- What kind of scope do you prefer? Fixed, variable power, red-dot...(For those of you that use scopes)

I started with just the barrel beads - missed a bird and then went to Tru Glo adjustable sights. From there as my eyesight got poor I went to a Nikon Monarch Turkey Pro. YOU ARE CORRECT. DO ADD OPEN SIGHTS OR A SCOPE. GET AWAY FROM THE NORMAL SHOTGUN BEAD. Sights of any type FORCES YOU TO KEEP YOUR HEAD DOWN.

AFTER ALL THOSE TURKEY LOADSARE JUST LIKE SHOOTING A DEER SLUG at less than 40 yards!

When I use decoys I liketo use3 of them. I really enjoy when that Tom comes in to kick butt! I use a Strutting Tom, with a full bodied hne slightly in front of the Tom and then my Bobblehead Hen off at a distance of 6 or 7 yards to one side or he other. OR - I use one hen decoy OR Nothing at all. It is the time of year, the type of terrain, and how well I know the area that dictates IF IUSE decoys.

In the states I hunt the terrain dictates wheter it is a blind or Gun and Run. My blind sitting (I do like it as I am old) is the result of patterning birds and knowing the blind IS in a LOCATION - I will see birds. If I can not do that it is back to Gun and Run. However - there is some Terrain that Gunning and Running is not possible not only because of the topography of the land but I don't ahve enough land area to do it. Sometimes I am forced to stay wihtin the boundaries of 20 or 40 Acres.

Your shotgun and load of choice will dictate your lethal range. My Rule of Thumb is 8 to 12 pellet holes in the spine, skull. eye or juglar vien on the neck of this target. I do NOT count pellet holes in the flesh at all.

Free target - all you need is a printer -
http://mdc.mo.gov/nathis/birds/turkey/target.htm
I know I can lethally kill beyond 40 yards. But why do it? Turkey hunting to me is call them up close - the closer the better! That is my personal preference. [NOTE: Not slamming anybody here who long distance shoot]. I am proud to say - my average distance from where I have sat is 21 yards and getting closer. Last years bird was 11 paces in front of me!

JW

Old 01-19-2009, 06:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Awesome info!
Old 01-19-2009, 10:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

i like #5or6 in 3"

i just use a hen decoy some times

a little of both

i shoot at 20 yards

i cant help you on the other ones.
Old 02-05-2009, 10:16 PM
Spike

Does anyone out there use a batteling turkey calls & have you had any sucess with them /
Old 02-06-2009, 04:40 AM
Typical Buck

You'll have to pattern your gun to really see what work's the best. I prefer Hevi 13 6's. Turkey loads are expensive so get with a few buddies and pick out a few loads to try and split the costs.

I've been through the full gammit of vests, etc. to carry my "arsenal" of calls and for the last 8-10 yrs. (been at this 40 yrs.) I've settled on a fanny pack. Works for me.

Decoys- When I blind hunt I use em but I much prefer that up close and personal feeling of runnin' and gunnin' and I don't use em then. I travel pretty light. Being as this is your first season IMHO I think a few well built ground blinds, decoys and a comfortable seating arrangement are in order. You'll have a lot more success.

Locator's- Almost any "loud" noise works. If I could come up with a device that would mimmick thunder I'd be a millionaire. Best thing is you really don't need anything,esp. if your blind hunting, "mother nature" provides em. What I mean is "listen to the woods". Anytime you hear a woodpecker, crow, owl, goose, coyote, door slam, horn blow, squirrel chatter, gobble, etc etc you get the idea- "listen". Now if your gonna run and gun probably a good loud crow call is in order.

Fighting calls- They work but it's probably something you don't need to worry about just yet but if your so inclined just use your pot call, your hat for wing beat sounds and your feet for ground sound. I use a mouth call and pot calls to mimmick fights.

Calls- Box call,potand a push-pin to start out with and start messing with some mouth calls. I really like push pin calls for close in work for a new hunter and don't forget scratching in the leaves is probably one of the best close calls there is.

Above all- "Have Fun!!". This really isn't rocket science and you'll find that most calls sound better than the real thing.

Be forewarned: This way of life is extremely addictive and can be hazardous to your health. lol

Dan

Quick Reply: A few questions for the Turkey experts...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.