Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Bow with a turkey

Old 11-14-2008, 02:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bow with a turkey

If you are willing to use a gun and have the means to purchase one I would suggest getting a shotgun if you dont have one. That will make it ALOT easier and you wont need a blind. If you have your heart set on bowhunting you will need a blind of some sort, but be forewarned that it is a heck of a challenge. That being said, when and if you get one it is that much more rewarding. Good luck. Pushbutton calls are a good way to start off with turkeys if your new to the sport, because they are easy to use and learn.
Old 12-10-2008, 08:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

30 lbs should be ok but like said before you will have to usea cut on contact fixed blade broadhead.
you can do it without a blind but wait to draw until either there is a tree between you or when he is in full strut face directly away.
simple starting call is a push button call.
Old 12-10-2008, 08:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

30 lbs is the minimum in my state. I think it will do it but absolutly stay away from expandable heads with this low poundage. you will need a sharp, cut on contact head to do the job with that poundage.
Old 12-11-2008, 10:33 AM
Typical Buck

Also don't forget the number one rule of bowhunting turkeys, or any animal for that matter- SHOT PLACEMENT. I cannot stress that enough. If you don't know where the vitals are you can easily find diagrams that will show you on the internet. Know where to place that arrow before you ever step into the woods. It'll save you and the turkey a lot of pain and heartache