Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Bow with a turkey

Old 11-09-2008, 03:21 PM
Spike

Default Bow with a turkey

Whats the least poundage that will kill a turkey? What about 30? Or a 1,200 fps pellet gun?
Old 11-09-2008, 04:07 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Default RE: Bow with a turkey

30 lb bow will do it - I don't think there is a minimum.

But a pellet gun/rifle with a well placed shot will also do it BUT is illegal in the majority of states. There are a few western states where a rifle can be used so I bet those new fangled pellet rifles might be okay. But please check you Dept of Nat. Res. regualtions before you do.'

JW
Old 11-09-2008, 04:08 PM
JW
Super Moderator

When you get your mount back please share a picture!

I have two mounted a beareded hen and a double bearded tom.........enjoy every minute I look at them.

JW
Old 11-09-2008, 04:29 PM
Spike

What turkey calls have worked the best for you. I will prolly be hunting in the woods. So any suggestions?
Old 11-10-2008, 01:11 PM
Typical Buck

Bow with a turkey? I've never tried that, I guess if you threw the turkey at the bow hard enough...haha just kidding, I would imagine 30 lbs would kill a turkey, but I would try for more then that just for good measure. If you are shooting low poundage I would stick to a cut on contact broadhead as well. I don't think I would be real ethical to try to take a turkey with a pellet gun. A turkey shotgun shell throws several hundred pellets at around 1300 fps (give or take) and it takes several of those pellets in the head or neck to put one down. Turkey are big tough birds and they take a lot of killing for an animal their size.
Old 11-10-2008, 02:20 PM
Fork Horn

30lbs is plenty for a turkey
Old 11-10-2008, 02:20 PM
Spike

Yeah should i make a blind or sit against a tree and start using my box call, and when a tom or hen comes it shoot it with my bow sitting down? which do u prefer and why.
Old 11-10-2008, 07:56 PM
JW
Super Moderator

You will definitely need some type of blind - turkey are so wary that the littlest movement out of the ordinary and they will be gone.

JW
Old 11-11-2008, 01:15 PM

ORIGINAL: JW!

You will definitely need some type of blind - turkey are so wary that the littlest movement out of the ordinary and they will be gone.

JW
Good advice, but not neccessarily a definite need, you can relatively easily get in done without a blind with the right setup....main thing is using surrounding areas as cover. Cedar trees work great, heck any tree trunk, my buddy routinely kills birds each spring without the aid of a blind...often times in an open woods setting...all about timing of when to draw, and keeping the tree between you and the turkey most of the time.

I too use a blind to help give me a little advantage, but it can be done without.
Old 11-11-2008, 10:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ive never used a blind when turkey hunting, but of course, my turkeys are stupid, inlike your guy's

Quick Reply: Bow with a turkey

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.