Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Benelli Nova - Rem HeviShot Patterning >

Benelli Nova - Rem HeviShot Patterning

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Benelli Nova - Rem HeviShot Patterning

Old 03-22-2003, 07:49 AM
Fork Horn

Default Benelli Nova - Rem HeviShot Patterning

OK. I’m finally getting around to posting my results with Remington’s HeviShot.
(Hope you don’t mind me borrowing your format, Jesse.)

The particulars:

All shots were on March 14, 2003

Shotgun Used

Benelli Nova – 24” barrel – Factory Full choke (all patterns)
I shot the same shells and yardages with the factory Modified choke and the patterns were fair but the full was better.
I used the factory red front bead and mid bead for sights. I fired a few dove loads at 10 and 20 yards for “sighting in”.
I did not clean between shots. I did check it a few times though and it looked pretty good. Fouling was at a minimum even with 16 shots being fired.

Conditions

~70°F – no wind – partly cloudy
All shots were off a bench with sandbag rests.
Yardages measured with a tape measure.

Pattern #1

This was the 3 inch magnum, #5, 1-5/8 oz. at 30 yards.
There are 37 pellets in the head/neck area, 96 pellets inside the smaller 8 inch circle, and 328 pellets in the outer 30 inch circle.

Pattern #2

This was the 3 inch magnum, #5, 1-5/8 oz. at 40 yards.
There are 24 pellets in the head/neck area, 34 pellets inside the smaller 8 inch circle, and 239 pellets in the outer 30 inch circle.

Pattern #3

This was the 3½ inch magnum, #5, 1¾ oz. at 30 yards.
There are 54 pellets in the head/neck area, 80 pellets inside the smaller 8 inch circle, and 252 pellets in the outer 30 inch circle.

Pattern #4

This was the 3½ inch magnum, #5, 1¾ oz. at 40 yards.
There are 19 pellets in the head/neck area, 27 pellets inside the smaller 8 inch circle, and 208 pellets in the outer 30 inch circle.

My feelings about these loads
I’ll be hunting with the 3½” 1¾oz loads this year. I’ll be ordering some more of them since I’m down to 5 shells. At the end of my testing I shot one shot at 20 yards from a sitting/hunting position to see how much it would take to miss a bird. The main part of the pattern was inside a 6” circle with a few flyers outside that. I didn’t bother to count the pellets and I’m not sure how many #5 pellets are in one of these loads.

Until I can decide which choke to buy for this gun the factory Full will have to do.

I did pattern some Winchester Supreme #5’s in 3” 1¾oz and 2oz loads. The 2oz load at 30 yards was incredibly tight. It put 41 pellets in the head/neck area, 91 pellets inside the 8” circle, and 317 inside 30”; but … it fell off a LOT at 40.
Old 03-22-2003, 09:51 PM

Default RE: Benelli Nova - Rem HeviShot Patterning

Cool Beans! [8D] Thanks for the info. I have a brand new Benelli Nova and was wondering about Remington Hevi-Shot with the factory full. Hmmm wonder how well a Rhino would improve it if any?? Maybe I will find out next year
Old 03-23-2003, 04:25 PM

I patterned my new Franchi912 with an undertaker .665 choke and 3.5' ' Win HV 5 shot, which is the same setup I use for my 870supermag. No matter how hard I wished, the Franchi did not like the winchesters. So I broke down and bought a box of Rem.Hevi HV 5' s in 3.5' ' . I got very good results with hevishot. A little tight in close, but I dont let' em get in closer than 20 yards if I can help it. Different guns and chokes do prefer different loads. I guess thats why we pattern.
Old 03-23-2003, 07:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice patterns for sure!! Way to go!!