Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 Please Help! 870 or Benelli Nova????? >

Please Help! 870 or Benelli Nova?????

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Please Help! 870 or Benelli Nova?????

Old 04-02-2005, 08:54 AM
Tud

Default Please Help! 870 or Benelli Nova?????

Please Help! Should I get a Remington 870 Super Mag or Benelli Nova? I like them
both. What do you guys think? My Dad is partial to the 870 but says I can get
whichever I want. Thanks for your time!!
Old 04-02-2005, 12:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Please Help! 870 or Benelli Nova?????

Both are good guns, But .
I like the 870 Supermag.
A proven design .
Lots of extra barrels out there ( extra 3 1/2 and the 2 3/4 and 3" fit just have to use the right shell).
Lots of scope mounts ,stocks, extended mag tubes ect.
If you are tall (or grow) there are long stocks , if you or a youth need a short stock a replacement short stock is easy to be had,or cut down .
The 870 design is durable, I have a 26" syn stocked Express supermag , It has been drug thru the (and droped in the )mud ,dunked in the marsh and I kept shooting.
I used it as a push pole and pattle when I broke the cannoe pattle.

Yes it is scratched and mared but it has not failed me ,I bought it the first year Rem released them.
Heven only knows how many shells I have fired thru it.

Also the Nova's stock can't be replaced if you would ever want to or if it dosn't fit you( grip to trigger is wrong for me).

Johnch
Old 04-02-2005, 04:22 PM

I've got an old 870 my father bought used in 1955 and gave to me. I've got a Benelli Nova too that I bought a few years ago. I've shot the Nova exactly once - when I'm going hunting I grab that old 870. The Nova is a nice gun but it lacks any character, too much plastic for my tastes. The foreend rattle drives me nuts - so it stays in the safe.
Old 04-02-2005, 07:15 PM

The remington 870 super mag gets my vote too. I have abused mine and it still shoots just fine. I shot a friend's nova one time and didn't like it at all, too much plastic and extra barrels are more expensive than the 870. Also, there is a wide assortment of accessories and barrels for the 870 too as well.
Old 04-02-2005, 10:05 PM
Fork Horn

Nova, without a doubt. I went with the camo. Great gun, can't go wrong with it. I have had minor troubles with my 870 express. Don't think I will ever buy an 870. Nothing terribly wrong with it, just upgraded my tastes a little.
Old 04-03-2005, 12:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have to vote for the 870 , I tried the Nova and didn't care for it myself .
Old 04-03-2005, 10:37 AM
Fork Horn

870 hands down
Old 04-04-2005, 07:50 AM
Typical Buck

My self and about 6 of my friends have Benelli Novas and I don't think you can buy a better waterfowl pump. It has more features than the 870 (magazine disconnect, Rotating locking lug bolt, spring assist pump, recoil reducer capable, and you can field strip it without any tools, which is very handy, I had had to do it once because I got dirt in the receiver). The one piece glass reinforced stock and receiver extremely tough and more water resistant/rust resistant than the 870. It is also cheaper than the 870. You can get a black one for $300 or a camo one for $350.

As for the forend rattle if you take an allen wrench and tighten down the two screw on the forend most of the rattle is removed, and it is a lot quieter. If I had to do it over again I would still buy the nova. All of the people I know that use them not one person has had a single problem.

Good luck
Old 04-04-2005, 10:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

After owning both the Remington and the Benelli, I would recommend the Nova hands down!!! It IMO is the best pump gun out there and feature wise it is very impressive!!!
Old 04-11-2005, 05:21 PM
Tud

Thanks for the replys guys. Much appreciated. If anybody else wants to express opinion I'd appreciate it!!

Tud

Quick Reply: Please Help! 870 or Benelli Nova?????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.