Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Scenario...

Old 03-21-2003, 05:05 AM

Default Scenario...

I f you knew about where a bird would be, and that he likes to fly down into a small green field(75yd. square) Would you get there early and put out a decoy in the green before he starts gobbling or do you think if he can sit in the tree and look at it, he' ll decide it aint real???
Old 03-21-2003, 05:25 AM

Default RE: Scenario...

As long as you can get the decoy out without him spotting you I would go ahead and use it.
Old 03-21-2003, 06:34 AM

Use the decoy. He' ll study it more from the ground. Use a peice of fishing line and give it a little movement if he hangs up on you. Cabelas sells a moto magnet which is a decoy stake with a 9v motor that makes the decoy bob up and down.
My buddy borrowed mine the other day and had a gobbler actually run in and pounce on my jake decoy. Another thing to do is to flap a turkey wing right at flydown time and call softly. Better yet, just give me a call and I will meet you out there to show you. This sounds like it could be a two man mission.
Old 03-21-2003, 09:58 AM
Fork Horn

I would get in really early, I mean really early, hour before shooting light and set the decoy at the edge of the green field. I would then sit beween the decoy and the roost, with the decoy in range. Do a fly down call and wing flap when it is still half light (before shooting light). Then wait for the tom to pitch off the roost. I don' t think turkeys can see any better than us during low light. He will rely on the sounds you make to tell him a hen is down. This type of set up has worked for me several times. Have even hhad to hold the gunner off from shooting until it was legal shooting light once.
Old 03-21-2003, 04:23 PM

I agree with Wacker. If you can sneak in without him seeing you, go with the decoy. Maybe even two. Good luck.
Old 03-21-2003, 08:28 PM

Preciate the info. I' ve got a wing from a bird a couple of years ago that I like to use, so i think I will put out the decoy early, give him a fly down, and then ------- watch my wife shot her first bird. Thanks for the advise.