Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

fiber optic sight

Old 12-08-2007, 11:24 AM
Spike

Default fiber optic sight

I'm considering replacing my front sight on my Berettao/uwith a fiber optic. Has anyone done this and if so is it worth while? I primarily use this gun for pheasant /Quail.
Old 12-08-2007, 02:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: fiber optic sight

Why would you want to change the sight? Is that a steal/brass bead ? if it is and you need to pick up on better try filing an angle on it that will reflect a little light back towards you. You will see a big difference in it.
Old 12-08-2007, 10:08 PM
Spike

You can get a fiber optic sight that will attach (magenetic) to you rib for less than $20.00, sometimes less if you find them on sale. I have one that fits my 11-87 and Browning gold it comes with 4 different colors. I saw some at wallyworld that probably work for you. Good luck.
Old 12-09-2007, 12:54 PM

I have installed the Hiviz compsight on all my shotguns and very glad I did. They are very easy to install, and come with a variety of lite pipes.
Old 12-13-2007, 06:06 PM
Spike

I'm with Jay7108. I have Hi-Viz sights on all my shotguns - Ithaca M37, Remington Wingmaster 870, and Baikal IZH-27. My Ithaca and Remington are plain barrel and I use the Hi-Viz Plan Barrel sight (snaps around the barrel - don't have to take off the original bead). My O/U mounts to the rib and is magnetic. I have tried some TruGlos but I prefer the Hi Viz.
Old 12-13-2007, 07:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

as said, get the magnetic sight that sits on top of bead..

i like GREEN one best.

but, the only time i use a sight is TURKEY hunting..
for grouse, pheasants,ducks i never look at sight..

p.s take sight off daily after use OR it will rust the barrel under sight..................
Old 12-20-2007, 07:59 AM
Spike

I have purchased and installed a truglo Fat Bead sight on my O/U. Christmas week I will be hunting Kansas and will have the
opportunity to test out the new front sight.
Thank You for your input.
Old 12-20-2007, 12:25 PM

I also use the HI-VIZ sights. I use them on both ofmy field guns Ruger Red Label and Bennelli M2. Like sproulman said, you don't really look at the front bead when upland hunting, but that big green dot seems to help for some reason. I also use firle optic sights on my turkey gun. Like them as well.

Old 12-20-2007, 07:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: eelriver

I also use the HI-VIZ sights. I use them on both ofmy field guns Ruger Red Label and Bennelli M2. Like sproulman said, you don't really look at the front bead when upland hunting, but that big green dot seems to help for some reason. I also use firle optic sights on my turkey gun. Like them as well.
its like shooting my bear kodiack recurve i have used from 1962,i shoot INSTINCTIVE at target or deer.
my eye concentrates on a 1/4 inch dot on white paper plate at 20 yds,thats all i remember when i pull up and let it fly,i watch that dot.

same with grouse or pheasant, i never remember sighting the bead on birds flying, i CONCENTRATE on bird whole time.

turkeys, i use the bead and i like glow green best........