Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Intimated by other callers ? >

Intimated by other callers ?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Intimated by other callers ?

Old 03-17-2003, 07:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Intimated by other callers ?

Guys , I want you to be honest here with this question.
When at a Sports Show or that type of event, Do you get intimated by another person that can call really well ? like a lot better then your self ?

If you walked up to a booth and there was a few fellows that where working calls and One of the guys seem to be Outstanding at calling , would it be easyer to talk to one of the others on the same level as your self , or would you confront the good caller...BT
Old 03-17-2003, 07:36 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Intimated by other callers ?

Kind of a difficult question to answer. I don' t know if intimidated is the right word. I don' t think I would know what I wanted to find out. I know most of good calling is lots of practice. If there was specific call I could not get, or type of call that I had not used I would have questionns to ask. If I really wanted to find out, the better the caller the more I can learn. For the most part if it is superior calling on a type of call that I have used i know that the fault lays in my own lack of practice. I don' t know if that really answers your question. I guess I would ask them questions if I felt they could teach me something, and not embariss myself if I felt that the answer to my question would be " practice" .
Old 03-17-2003, 08:20 AM
Fork Horn

yes and yes. I would not call it intimidating but it is humbling to be around someone who is clearly a much better caller. At the same time, if I want help I am going to go to the good caller and not someone who does not seem to have it together. I think from the perspective of the guy working the booth at the show, you just have to be very open and have the approach that this is easy and I can help you work the call like I can.
Old 03-17-2003, 08:50 AM

no there is no such thing as a good caller so to speak ... as i have herd numours time a real hen turkey would never win a turkey calling contest .. i have herd real hen turkeys call that i thought a guy was dieing and it was real
Old 03-17-2003, 09:25 AM
Fork Horn

I agree with the earlier post....I don' t think intimidated is the right word. Humbled....yes, shown that I need to practice more....yes. If I want to become a much better caller, I swallow my pride and talk to the better caller.
Old 03-17-2003, 10:09 AM

Naw. Doesnt bother me a bit. To me, a good caller is one who can bring in the birds not just sound purdy to another human person. I know i would never win any
contests but the gobblers seem to like what ive got. [:-]
Old 03-17-2003, 10:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

sorry guys,Please don' t take me wrong ,, Imtimidated maybe is not the right word , but I asume everyone knows what I am tring to say. I' m just wondering how others are thinking in this situation. I' m not trying at all here to bring anyone down here just interested in Opinions for others...BT
Old 03-17-2003, 12:02 PM
Fork Horn

If i have a question, i might as well ask the better caller, as to he might be able to help me correct my problem, or maybe just tell me i am on the right track and to practice more. But someone already stated, you don' t have to be a pro to call in a tom! But it sure does help to know how to use several different calls!
Old 03-17-2003, 12:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

I would talk to the best people I could.

Last year I thought I had the absolute worst caller inthe world down the ridge from me. I couldn' t take it anymore so I got up to move.Walked about twenty steps when I walked up on the hen that I had been talking to.
Old 03-17-2003, 12:46 PM

Adrian,
I think I would use the word humbling also. But that is the person I would ask my questions to. Sometimes it' s not about who sounds the " best" but who can run calls the way they were meant to be ran. Fine example; Alot of hunters know how to yelp or purr on a slate, but when you get someone who starts kee-keeing on a slate or a long box then I start moving toward them. Vaturkey is the best caller I know and every time we play with calls together that good ol' humbling feeling comes on. But right after...... the good ol' question, " how did you do that" comes out especially when he' s kee-keeing on one of MY calls that I havn' t been able to kee-kee on, like the slate over glass that I made awhile back This can be a problem though.... after he plays with one of my calls I don' t have no excuses such as, " this call just won' t make that kind of call" LOL

Quick Reply: Intimated by other callers ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.