Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Advice to a Beginner

Old 03-01-2003, 03:53 PM

Default Advice to a Beginner

Many of you who post to this board are experienced hunters. I am trying this turkey hunting thing for the first time this spring in Georgia. What types of calls will I need and what can I do before the season begins to help me with my hunt this spring?
Old 03-01-2003, 05:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Advice to a Beginner

Most stores that sell calls will usually have some on display, go by and try some of them out and see what you like best, outside of doing some scouting before season, practicing your calls is about it.
Old 03-01-2003, 05:30 PM
Fork Horn

My advice to you would be to learn the most basic of calls...the yelp. Anyone who can produce a good sounding yelp can successfully call turkeys. One way you might be able to produce good sounding yelps with ease is with a push-rod call. They' re in the shape of a rectangular box and have a spring-loaded rod which you gently push to produce sounds. Both Primos and Knight & Hale manufacture these types of calls. Once you master that call, then consider a slate call, box call, and finally a diaphragm call. With these calls you can then move on to more advanced calling techniques such as the cluck, fly-down cackle, and others. Another piece of advice I would give is spend the money on a video tape with lots of turkey hunts on it. Practice while watching the tape. Many of the hunters profiled on these tapes are good callers. Learn from the experts. And finally, all I can say is practice, practice, and practice.
Old 03-01-2003, 05:46 PM

Yankeehunter,
If you are new and never been turkey hunting the best way is to have a person that turkey hunts take you along and show you the ropes. If you don' t have anybody than I would watch some tapes on turkey hunten,listen how they call and the different calls they use. Practic your calling the box is the easest I think and you don' t have to be that fancy with the calling eather keep it simple.
Old 03-01-2003, 05:57 PM

FOR STARTERS I WOULD GET A MODERATELY PRICED BOX CALL. MAYBE A LYNCH' S FOOL PROOF. THIS WILL GET YOU ALL THE BASIC SOUNDS THAT A TURKEY MAKES WITHOUT HAVING TO HAVE A WHOLE LOT OF EXPERTISE. NEXT I WOULD SPEND A LOT OF TIME IN THE WOODS IN THE 2 - 3 WEEKS BEFORE SEASON STARTS AND DO LOTS OF LISTENING...BUT DON' T TAKE YOUR CALL IN THE WOODS WITH YOU...TOO TEMPTING TO USE IT AND YOU DON' T WANT TO EDUCATE BIRDS BEFORE THE SEASON. LASTLY RENT AS MANY TURKEY HUNTING VIDEOS AND LEARN AS MUCH AS YOU CAN...NO MATTER HOW MUCH YOU LEARN YOU WILL NEVER LEARN IT ALL WHEN IT COMES TO TURKEYS AND HUNTING THEM. ALSO DON' T FORGET TO PATTERN YOUR GUN TO DETERMINE THE BEST LOAD THAT YOU CAN SHOOT TO ENSURE A CLEAN KILL. SO MANY OTHER THINGS THAT YOU CAN DO BUT IT WOULD TAKE A WHOLE BOOK...MAYBE 2 OR 3 TO COVER ALL THAT. GOOD LUCK YOU' RE ABOUT TO GET HOOKED!!!!!
Old 03-01-2003, 06:26 PM

FOR A BEGINNER, I WOULD SUGGEST LEARNING HOW TO YELP AND CLUCK ON A CALL YOU ARE COMFORTABLE WITH. MY 3 YEAR OLD RUNS AROUND THE HOUSE WITH A PUSH BUTTON CALL I GAVE HIM AND HE SOUNDS PRETTY GOOD. ALSO LOTS OF PATIENCE!!!

GOOD LUCK
Old 03-01-2003, 06:37 PM
Typical Buck

Positive attitude, With all the turkeys there r out there these days, u will kill one if your persistant.If it' s one thing a turkey hunter has to have, it' s time.So if u put in alittle time, you will b successfull.
Old 03-01-2003, 07:11 PM

I started turkey hunting in Ga....be about 40yrs ago this season..if I was you..no if it was me..I would get me a Lynch Jet Slate..and follow the instructions that come with it..very easy call to use and sounds as much like turkeys as they do..and very hard to do too loud.
Old 03-02-2003, 06:17 AM

Welcome to the board Yankeehunter. Push pin type calls like a Quaker Boy EZ yelper are a great starter call, easy to master, sounds great and lures in gobblers. In my opinion box calls and slates are easy to learn with a little practice. Diaphrams mouth calls take more practice. You must first
first learn the basics of hen turkey talk. Learn to mimic a hen with the right rythym and cadence and you are on the right path.
Old 03-02-2003, 06:58 AM
Fork Horn

I agree with the rest,Get a call and imitate what they are doing on tape' s or hunting show' s,
Pattering your gun is Very essential,
having a couple decoy' s is a good idea A hen jake set up is the best.
Like other' s have said go into the wood' s and study the turkey' s habit' s,Where they travle,roost ect.
Don' t over call,watching tapes and such,It will give you a good idea on this.
I wish you luck