Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Advice for a beginner

Old 10-21-2008, 09:24 AM

Default Advice for a beginner

So i really want to get in to waterfowl, and I just want to get your advice on what is a good shotgun to invest in. what gauge? I have a friend who wants to sell me a 12 gauge browning gold trigger, not sure anything else about it... anyways, I've shot skeet and trap using my friends guns, but I want to get your advice as to a gun for hunting birds...
Any help would be greatly appreciated
Old 10-21-2008, 10:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Advice for a beginner

Well there are a ton of options out there. It depends on what you want and how much you want to spend! I hunt with a Remington 870 Express Mag.. I love it. Cheap gun, and it's damn near bullet proof! It's all up to you my friend. I would reccommend goint to a gun shop and putting your hands on several different guns. Then choose the one that feels best in your hands! They all shoot the same shells! 12 gauge is a great way to go.
Old 10-21-2008, 10:34 AM

Thanks. I know i just have to see what feels good but I was kind of hoping to be steered in the direction of brands ... like you did. Ill look into your gun!
Old 10-21-2008, 11:29 AM
Fork Horn

If its a Browning Gold shotgun(autoloader) with a gold trigger (which doesnt mean anything on those guns)Its a dern fine shotgun for ducks. If its a Browning BPS (pump) which can also have a gold trigger (still doesnt mean anything just pretty) Its a great gun too. The Browning A-5's are another story altogether (the gold trigger means something on these guns,ie: standard or light) The Remington 870will be cheaper but its a good gun too. But remember you get what you pay for. the Brownings will have a better fit and finish usually.The 12ga has by far the most options at loads. Make sure any gun you get has at least a 3" chamber and is rated for steel. (Any modern gun with screw in choke tubes will be rated for steel shot.) Any more ?'s (ingeneral or about any of these guns) or if you want some more info about your buddy's gun either post some pics or get a better description and we'll try to help you out!
Old 10-22-2008, 07:04 AM
Fork Horn

Basically you want a gun that feels right. You can have the most expensive gun and not shoot worth a lick with it because its not comfortable. I personally shoot a Remingtion 1187 Sportsman SemiAuto. Great gun, great comfort for me. Go with what feels right
Old 10-22-2008, 09:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: tlutterba

You can have the most expensive gun and not shoot worth a lick with it because its not comfortable. I personally shoot a Remingtion 1187 Sportsman SemiAuto. Great gun, great comfort for me. Go with what feels right
Thats the gun that I have. I love it! It fits me better than any gun I've picked up so far... the 870 is the next best choice for me. The only thing I don't like about remington is the rusting problem on the matted guns... like my 1187.
Old 10-22-2008, 12:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

Reality: duck hunting and goose hunting is a harsh, unpretty application for fire arms. You can drop your gun in the drink when you trip over marsh grass getting into position in the dark, you can jam your barrel down into the mud when you trip,you can splash water over your gun while wading out to retrieve dropped birds. Your gun can slip in the blind and get smeared with mud and dirt on the floor of the duck blind. You can hunt in the rain and snow. You might not want to takea "pretty" shotgun out there.

When I bought a shotgun to begin duck hunting, I got a cheap shotgun with a synthetic stock. My thinking was, the synthetic stock is largely impervious to the elements. The shotgun isn't particularly pretty, so if it gets beat-up, I won't feel guilty. Additionally, because it was cheap, worst case I throw it away and buy a new one. I think there are several makes and models of shotgun that would fill this particular niche.

It happens that I bought a Remington 870 with a black synthetic stock. It has not yet landed in the drink after three seasons. I did trip over swamp grass and land on my face in the drink, but I held my gun aloft and it remained dry. I have not dropped it in the water or jammed the barrel in the mud. I clean it after every hunt (used to be every outing when shot, now I'm just going to clean after every weekend's hunt is over -- I think that is enough, except that if it get's wet I'll go over the external metal with a lightly oiled rag) and wipe it down with an oily rag. The gun looks like new. It does the job for me. It cost me $280. A $2,000 gun would not do more for me than this gun does.
Old 10-22-2008, 12:01 PM

This is usually how it starts....First wave is the Remington fans, next usually crawl in a couple mossbergh (SP?) guys, then the Binelli fans start in with their say, finally you end up with an odd assortment of other brand guns, browning, winchester, etc.... The fact of the matter is they are all good guns. Just remember you get what you pay for and if it don't fit....it ain't worth s***. I would go look at and hold a couple of guns and find some you really like. Then come back and tell us which ones you liked and we can tell you stories (good or bad) about almost anything. But the best way is to look first. Find out what your price range is. Hold a few. Then narrow it down on 2-4 that you really like. Then we can really help with the choice. It is all your preference that matters.
Old 10-22-2008, 12:20 PM
Fork Horn

it is true waterfowl hunting is hard on guns. synthetic stocks are good cuz they are tuff. i havew never known a person not happy with an 870. mossbergs are cheap, but in my experience like to jam, hard to clean,etc. you cant really go wrong with remington, winchester, browning... i'd buy a cheaper gun that shoulders good and later if u git into it hardcore go out and invest in a performance choke
Old 10-22-2008, 01:42 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Chris_H

ORIGINAL: tlutterba

You can have the most expensive gun and not shoot worth a lick with it because its not comfortable. I personally shoot a Remingtion 1187 Sportsman SemiAuto. Great gun, great comfort for me. Go with what feels right
Thats the gun that I have. I love it! It fits me better than any gun I've picked up so far... the 870 is the next best choice for me. The only thing I don't like about remington is the rusting problem on the matted guns... like my 1187.

Agree mine likes to build that surface rust quickly if i don't oil it. So after every hunt i have to lube her up

Quick Reply: Advice for a beginner

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.