Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Advice for a beginner

Old 07-02-2006, 01:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Advice for a beginner

Well, planning a hunt in Idaho Unit 31 next spring. This will be all on public land, or private land with pre-existing public access (walk in areas designated by the state). I have decided I will start getting some gear this fall/winter to be ready and have all the bugs worked out. I plan to keep things simple.A couple decoys, 2 hens and a Jake, and no more than 3 calls. I am thinking a box call would be good, as well as a diaphram call for when the bird gets in close, and I need to catch it's attention for the shot. I like Primos calls for elk. How are they for turkeys? I have a book on turkey hunting, will probably get one or two more in time. I have the information on the areas, but will be calling the biologist here soon.

I have no experience hunting turkeys, so it should be interesting. I think I will also apply for the limited tags here in NV next year, and hunt Nevada if I draw, and Idaho if I don't. Either way, I will still get the gear, and hunt turkeys next year one way or the other.

Thanks,

Marcial

Old 07-02-2006, 05:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Advice for a beginner

sounds like youre on the right track.....get a bobblehead decoy.....good luck......the only advice i think you need is to stay in the woods after everyone has left.....if youre not out there you wont be able to get one.......
Old 07-02-2006, 06:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have to agree with ma here on the decoy Go Buckwing and you really don't need anymore then 1 or 2. Calls are important and you should have different types. A box call is good , but I would lean on a Mini Boat paddle for volume and sharpness to have sound travel. A pot call of some sort , I like the multi surfaces as they can give you a few ranges of tone in the one call, couple or few strikers which will as so add a difference in the tone of the pot call.
Mouth calls are good and if your starting go with a Double reed to begin with. They are a clear call and you could also add a cut type call that will offer you a raspy sound if you like raspy.

Locators are another tool of the trade , Coyote Howler for them birds. The howler will work when others will not. Save your money with the owl call , you can learn that with your natural vocals.

If your putting all the time and expence into this hunt , don't leave home with a gun that "You think will do the Job" Spend the money on a good turkey choke and I'm talking the $60.00 + range , not the cheep stuff. You shoot a choke like that and you will step over the cheeper chokes by far.Look for something in a .660 constrictionand get your gun shooting before you go. Don't worry so much about How many shot you put into the Head and neck as much as you should what you get in a 10-12 in cirlce at 30 yards. Try a number of different brands of shells , and I would start with the Winchester HV copper#5-#6

Get a good seat, something you can carry easy and quiet and sit for some time on. A vest is a great way to go as you can carry most of this stuff in it. Clippers, Water bottle, Binoculars, area things that you could add. Remember to have camo top to bottom , cover all shiney surfaces, Realtree camo patterns tend to work in most terrian.

Hope that helps ...BT
Old 07-02-2006, 12:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks guys!!I took some notes on things to get and I will be looking around in the coming months.

Oh, and I also plan to hunt during the week. I have Mondays and Tuesdays off, so I will go up Monday, hunt Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, MAYBE Friday and come home either Friday or Saturday. I will take vacation to at least thatSaturday, heck may even go with a full week of vacation and take 9 days off just in case. I think that should let me have a lot of the place to myself. Gonna try and plan it when the the toms should be the most active, after talking to the biologist.

Later,

Marcial
Old 07-02-2006, 04:11 PM
Typical Buck

how well do you know the area?
Old 07-02-2006, 11:25 PM

sounds like your headed in the right direction, just remember one of the most important things about turkey huntn. zero movement, when he coming in. good luck and keep us posted.
Old 07-03-2006, 11:57 AM
Super Moderator

Practice and patience.
Old 07-03-2006, 12:15 PM
Dominant Buck

Agree with Ma!
Old 07-03-2006, 04:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Arrowmaster