Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

2nd Bird Down!

Old 05-12-2008, 07:52 AM
Typical Buck

Default 2nd Bird Down!

Well guys I tagged out in Missouri on April 28th and just now am getting to the story. We actually got it on film and boy was it an awesome hunt. My good friend(whose never gone spring turkey hunting before) and I position our blind in the middle of a tree row that pinches and connects two fields of winter wheat. I have my B-Mobile decoy out along with two hens in front of us at roughly ten yards. Right from the get go we had birds coming in. First a hen walks up on us and gets a little nervous. I couldn't figure out why until I looked at the camera I was using has a bright red light on the front that says its recording. I tell my buddy that I'm not going to record b/c I want him to get his first bird without a hitch. Not more than 5 minutes pass and he tells me a tom is strutting at our 4 o'clock and coming in fast. I tell him to get his gun up and wait and sure enough that tom comes up right next to our blind and is so close you can hear him drumming when he fans out. He walks right at full strut right in front of the blind where I could've reached out and grabbed his neck. He was 2 yards in front of the blind. He makes his way directly to the decoy and challenges the B-Mobile. I tell my buddy to not shoot the decoy! He takes aim and shoots and grazes his feathers...that bird took off running and he shoots again and misses at ten yards! Just as I was about to grab my gun, he gets the third shot off and nails him. Dead bird down. We leave the bird out in the field and since we still hear gobblin decide to see if I can get my second bird of the season. I begin my series of calls again and see some hens moving into the woods to my left at about 200 yards.A tomon the same track behind the henswas getting ready to move into the woods whenhe stops and looks at that B-Mobile decoy and gets real interested. He sat there and stared at that decoy for a couple of minutes, observed the situation, and then decides to take a closer look. As he walks into a little depression in the field, my buddy takes the camera and holds his finger over the red light and begins to film. He says he can see one bird and two other heads peaking over the depressed area. So now I have 3 toms coming in. They meander on over and take a big circle around the dead bird in the field and come right up to the B-Mobile. At ten yards I settle in and dropped the first tom that gave me a clear shot! All of thishappened before 7 am and we had two birds down. I know alot have said that the B-Mobile decoy is too expensive and it is a good chunk of change, but boy does it work! I'll post the video as soon as I can get it burned from my friend. Happy Hunting guys.

Old 05-12-2008, 08:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 2nd Bird Down!

Where's the beard???
Old 05-12-2008, 08:38 AM
Typical Buck

That's true the beard isn't sticking out? Damn, how could I forget. Well he had a nice 10 inch beard with some pretty good hardware for spurs. Sorry these are the pics that my buddy just now got to sending me. You'll see the beard in the upcoming video.
Old 05-12-2008, 09:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

congrats. what an exciting hunt!! Can't wait to see the video