Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

stay put or run n gun??

Old 05-01-2008, 12:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: stay put or run n gun??

ducksmoker...i thought it was the best option as well...

heres pics i forgot to post...

non-zoomed shot...he was in the middle of the 2 big oaks dead center of the pic..

heres a zoomed pic...

if you look close you can see all the saplings in the way...they blend very well...when theres a red head inbetween them, i didnt notice them except the largest 2....glad i didnt fire...he knew something was wrong and was spooked...but he doesnt know WHAT was wrong...and i got a whole pile of calls he aint heard yet....i still have a chance to tangle with him again...or his buddies...

Old 05-01-2008, 06:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

I usually sit on fields for the first couple hours and try to catch them coming back in, if that fails then I run and gun full speed ahead.. When I find one either in a field or hear them I will start to move very very slow similar to still hunting till I think they are either close enough or are coming my way.. Then sit and sweet talk em in...
Old 05-01-2008, 06:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

demo, i avoid fields like the plauge for the most part lol. i dont hunt with decoys...dont really like ambushing turkeys (spotting them in the field and watching their direction and cutting them off) and just dont like field hunting...just not my cup of tea...not knockin it...i miss out on many birds because of it...i could carry me a flock of decoys and setup in farm land at home and knock em dead...

really dont like turkey hunting at home on the farmland. woodlots are small...if you dont get them off the roost, they are in the fields strutting and feeding all day...i just rather hunt them in the woods...and big woods are my favorite. do alot of hunting at home on the woodlots...but i wont lie..90% of the time my hunts are over by 8am because they are in the fields...i just love hunting them in the woods...

not knocking field hunting...just isnt my style of turkey hunting...maybe i aughta learn...though, it wouldnt do me much good in this scenero being there really isnt fields...

did try runnin n gunnin for an hour today from about 9-10...couldnt get one to respond to the crow call...i blame the weather...kinda breezy, cold and raining off and on...real weird..a cold front moved in this morning then it warmed up...only birds i heard was all the birds i had on the roost...
Old 05-01-2008, 08:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

ill give those gobblers an hour or two, then if i get no more responses from them, or they never commit i will chase different ones
Old 05-02-2008, 09:11 AM

Amen mauser06 its not about how many birds you take or miss its all about the hunt. That time at pre dawn when the birds are talking on the roost andTomsare gobbling at the oddest sounds they hear. Working that old long beard into gun range only to get busted by some sneak'y hen. watching your son takehis first bird. Talking turkey an telling stories with friends or just the simple time spent in the turkey woods enjoying all the things that God has given us. Its the emotion the pressure the highest ofhighsan the lowest of lows this is what makes us turkey hunters.

IF these things do not get your heart pumping your just not a turkey hunter !