Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

making pot calls

Old 04-29-2008, 07:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default making pot calls

on my search to find some great sounding pot calls since my ole yeller is dying, and willing to spend the bucks on a custom, but wishing i had a lathe to make my own, i remembered Custom Sawing..got surfaces and wood from them when i made my own pots in shop class...

any other websites like custom sawing i can get surfaces and pots?? love custom sawing..will definently order from them...just looking for other options/surfaces(would love to find out what "slatek" really is!) maybe even sand and assemble box call kits...

love tinkering and building calls...just dont have access to a lathe anymore...still make my own strikers with an ax, knives and dremel tool...

hows the thickness of the surface factor into the sound?? thinner vs thicker??

what about sound boards? glass? slate? thick? thin? does size matter? i seen they recomend the 3" for sound boards..but sale smaller surfaces that could also work as a smaller soundboard...how would that effect sound??

figuring i need to take the 100$ id spend on a good custom or 2 and just buy a pile of surfaces, pots and soundboards and have at it...but if anyone has went this route you can save me time and money and give me ideas on what works great...or you custom call makers can fill me in on what effects the sound in what ways...

also, what do you guys finish the pots with?? stain and poly? just poly? something else??

thanx
Old 04-29-2008, 07:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: making pot calls

www.customcalls.com

If it deals with making calls.... you'll find information there. There are some true masters of call making that frequent their forums. If you need materials or advice to build it yourself, you'll find advice and links to sources there. If you just want to purchase a custom call at a fair price, there are plenty to choose from and contact info for each.

I'm contemplating a Pat Strawser glass call myself. I have his contact information... just need to pull the trigger.
Old 04-29-2008, 07:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

thanx swampcollie...pretty sure im a member there from when i was in shop and running the lathe...knew there was a forum full of call makers..just couldnt find it!

really think i just need to buy a hobby lathe...i could sell calls on ebay and forums and to buddies and pay for itself quick...i just love tinkering...

though, how many calls can one guy possibly need??? can only carry a couple at a time really...and can only run one at a time lol...but boy, i do love making calls and tinkering...hmmmmmmm

im looking forward to "settling down" and having my own house...first thing im doing is building me a small wood shop...wood working is a true love of mine...i LOVED shop class and with a little knowledge you can do ALOT of stuff..from home repair to decorating and trim work to making usefull things like calls and gun racks etc
Old 04-29-2008, 08:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mauser06

thanx swampcollie...pretty sure im a member there from when i was in shop and running the lathe...knew there was a forum full of call makers..just couldnt find it!

really think i just need to buy a hobby lathe...i could sell calls on ebay and forums and to buddies and pay for itself quick...i just love tinkering...

though, how many calls can one guy possibly need??? can only carry a couple at a time really...and can only run one at a time lol...but boy, i do love making calls and tinkering...hmmmmmmm

im looking forward to "settling down" and having my own house...first thing im doing is building me a small wood shop...wood working is a true love of mine...i LOVED shop class and with a little knowledge you can do ALOT of stuff..from home repair to decorating and trim work to making usefull things like calls and gun racks etc
I hear you there man! After i shot my buck this year i figured id make a plague for the euro mount instead of buying one. So i dusted off some of my dads tools, jig saw, router, etc, planning on making myself a decent looking plague quick. Next thing i know its 2 in the morning and im still out in the garage with 10 deer plaques, 5 turkey plaques, a beard board, and plans on making a gun rack. Im hooked now! Ive been playing around all the time ever since. It is very gratifying!
Old 04-30-2008, 08:39 AM

Mauser check out http://www.brooksidegamecalls.com/ they are a PA company and they have all the parts and pieces to make your own pot call, or just about any other type of call for that matter. They also have the ability to lazer engrave for you too. I have some friends who have bought off of this guy and they are very happy. He is based out of the area where I grew up. I haven't used him yet but everything I have heard is positive.
Old 04-30-2008, 09:32 AM

sounds like fun and a nice way to spend the offseason SwampCollie an PA Hardwoods i will chech out those sites thanks for the onfo.