Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Skunked by a jake...

Old 04-26-2008, 01:36 PM
Fork Horn

Default Skunked by a jake...

So here is how my turkey hunting day went....
I got out of work at 3am and headed home. I was picking up my best hunting buddy so we could go hunting for a few hours opening day.My buddy has class at 830am and I have to work again at 3pm so that explains the shorthunting hours.We did not get the chance to roost any birds the night before due to both of us working or having family obligations on friday... no big deal we both know there are turkey all over the place where we hunt so we roll in around 5am and get set up.
My buddy starts off with a few soft yelps at around 6ish and get no response. He calls a few more times over the next hour with no response so we decide to move East of our location and call as we go. As we are moving we give a few calls and hear a gobble like 60 yards off so take positions as quick as we can.
While I was trying to get set up I hear some rustling about 35 yards off in the brush so I just sit down against a tree so that I dont ruin things for my buddy who was set up in a good spot. I realize that where I sat is a terrible position and realize that I can only shoot through a small lane.
My buddy yelps again and a gobble comesfrom 15 yards to my rear and left of me. I look over my shoulder into a small creek crossing and here comes a jake running like no tomorrow and right behind him is a bigger bird.
As the jake starts to head out of sight and come up over the bank I attempt to turn myself so that I can take a second shot if my buddy misses. Wouldnt you know it the leaves under my foot rustle and that jake is staring me down. My buddy realizing whats going on gives a few soft calls but to no avail him and the elder turkey head back to where they came from and so that ended our hunting day.
[:@]
Old 04-26-2008, 06:38 PM

Default RE: Skunked by a jake...

just goes to show the importance of no movement, I am sure anyone that has been turkey hunting on a regular basis will have had a simular exp. Better luck next time.