Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 HOW FAR AWAY IS THAT BIRD? >

HOW FAR AWAY IS THAT BIRD?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

HOW FAR AWAY IS THAT BIRD?

Old 04-11-2008, 07:03 AM
Spike

Default HOW FAR AWAY IS THAT BIRD?

WHEN I AM OUT IN THE WOODS I CAN HEAR THE TOMS GOOBLE. I CAN HEAR THEM CLEAR AND LOUD. HOW FAR AWAY ARE THEY IS MY QUESTION? MY PROPERTY IS VERY HILLY SO I DON'T SEE THE BUT THEY ARE VERY VOCAL.

THANKS
Old 04-11-2008, 07:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: HOW FAR AWAY IS THAT BIRD?

Thats a pretty hard question because Im not there. What i do know is that since you can hear them loud and clear, you better be ready. Theyre probably closer than you think they are. Make sure that gun is up and ready to rock, cuz if he catches you pull that gun up your hunt is basically over.
Old 04-11-2008, 07:44 AM

First off, my hearing is pretty lousy, but that being said I have noticeda differance in the tone of the gobble when they get close beyond the loudness. I don't know exactly what it is, but there is a differance.
Old 04-11-2008, 07:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

In most cases they are closer than they sound. Many a hunter has been busted trying to close the gap between a gobbler and himself, thinking the gobbler was further than he sounded.
Old 04-11-2008, 08:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

They are almost always closer than they sound. But there are a few general rules and variables that will help you make an informed decision on whether you need to move on a bird or not....

1) A bird will turn his head different directions and generally if he is on the ground strutts in circles and to and fro and this can be confusing if you are trying to pinpoint his location, so its good to hear him gobble a couple of times.... if you can get him to gobble AT you, that can be a better indicator.

2) Birds sound farther and farther away as the season gets later because the leaves and vegetation start to immerge more and more.. it has a buffling effect.... by late April a bird that sounds 300 yards off is often only half that.... THIS IS A TURKEY HUNTING GOLDEN RULE!!!!

3) Playing it safe never hurts. I too have muzzle blasted ear drums... which is the price you pay for duck hunting successfully and bringing friends along... I often second guess my ears... but being a touch conservitive has always paid off for me.
Old 04-11-2008, 09:27 AM

swampcollie gives some good advice. In addition I think they have the ability to make a lower sounding gobble when are on the move and searching for hens.

Hilly country can be a good advantage. I like to get above the calling bird and set where the gobbler will appear at the crest of the hill in easy gun range say 30 yards. He will probably only stick his head up first to look around, but you need to see the beard. He may pull his head back down allowing you to adjust you sighting location, if not hopefully he will pass behind some trees within the next 10 yards so you can make your final sight adjustment.

I think you will find it is not a good idea to peak over the hill to look for him if you even think he is close. A turkeys eyes miss very little especially movement and there could be other turkeys in the group which are much closer to you than the gobbler calling. One PUTT and they are all gone.

Old 04-11-2008, 09:56 AM
Typical Buck

Here in the hardwoods of west Tennessee during the early season before the woods greens up gobblers can sound closer than they are - later in the season the opposite is true, they are closer than they sound. All the leaves help absorb the sound. Humidity and wind can also greatly effect the volume of the sound you hear.

Gobblers sound much louder on the roost than on the ground. Gobblers facing you on the roost are much louder than if facing away.

Gobblers in the hardwoods sound much louder than an open field. The trees help reflect the sound around. In my observation, gobbles from a hollow sound louder than those from a ridgetop.

You're correct in that they sound different when really close. I call it a "rattle" that I can hear during the gobble.inside 60-80 yards. I make sure my gun is ready before hearing the "rattle" in the gobbler.

Of course, if you hear drumming get ready because he is very close.
Old 04-11-2008, 07:57 PM
Fork Horn

Yeah that's pretty hard to determine that if i'm not there but just try and work them and don't let them control you and just be ready.
Old 04-12-2008, 02:15 AM
Fork Horn

if he sounds like he is jarrin the ground or about to blow your hat off ,you had better be ready.